Question Yoke Regulator with Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very good answers for you above.
Do you have your own tanks for when you are in the US? If you plan diving with your own tanks while in the US and they are DINs then get a DIN regulator. If you don't have your own tanks and don't plan on getting any (ie: renting), then I would go the Yoke route. I would not mix and match as it gets messy.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is a little sad reading all these posts about how someone used a yoke reg to dive on a wreck and did not die. I hope that is hyperbole. People dived without alternate second stages for years and did not die. People did not used to have BCDs. MOST people dive and do not die. The issue is not whether a particular configuration is possible, rather the issue is whether of two possible configurations one is preferable to the other, especially in terms of diving in what can be a hazardous environment. Sure, you can use a yoke. You'll probably be fine. You can use a super-thin wing or BCD, you'll probably be fine. But would you rathr bump the overhead with a yoke or a DIN reg? Would you rather scrap up against some sharp, rusty metal with a thin wing or with one covered with heavy, rip-resistant material?

Fair enough, @tursiops , but would you advise the OP to buy a DIN reg just for occasional diving on the kind of wrecks where not just "someone did not die" but through which a hundred divers pass every week without incident? (Still based on an assumption that's the kind of "wreck diving" we're talking about here.) In my view, @Cheizz hit on what the "issue" is in this thread:

I think the message should be then: don't buy a DIN regulator just for that one week of wreck swim-throughs in the Red Sea. If wreck diving (or any regular diving in an overhead environment) is in your future, though, DIN's the way to go.

Fair enough, @tursiops , but would you advise the OP to buy a DIN reg just for occasional diving on the kind of wrecks where not just "someone did not die" but through which a hundred divers pass every week without incident? (Still based on an assumption that's the kind of "wreck diving" we're talking about here.) In my view, @Cheizz hit on what the "issue" is in this thread:
I think Cheizz is on target.
There is undeniably additional risk to a yoke IN a wreck, but if the OP is sensible he will not be IN a wreck, just passing through some wide-open spaces. HIS words were "in" a wereck, not "passing through."
I can't speak to the OPs sensibility, of course, nor how is is going to dive in the Red Sea, and I am unswayed by hundreds of divers "passing through each week." What if just one of those divers, once a month, or once a year, had a yoke knocked off? Don't you agree the risk is higher, just not so high as to make it unacceptable to most, especially if they assume "it will not happen to them"?

I can't speak to the OPs sensibility, of course, nor how is is going to dive in the Red Sea, and I am unswayed by hundreds of divers "passing through each week." What if just one of those divers, once a month, or once a year, had a yoke knocked off? Don't you agree the risk is higher, just not so high as to make it unacceptable to most, especially if they assume "it will not happen to them"?
Personally, there have been "swim-throughs" on well-touristed wrecks where my buddy and I chose not follow the group through.

I've been in the skinniest of places come out covered in smatterings of rust and oil scratched up tanks
and rounded yoke knobs

Oh crap I forgot about The Curmudgeon

Back
Top Bottom