Question Yoke Regulator with Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrMattWill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As a companion to another question, I am about to buy a new regulator. Without getting into a DIN vs. Yoke debate...
My diving is mostly USA, Caribbean and SE Asia. I am going to Egypt for 1 week of wreck diving. How concerned should I be using a Yoke regulator in wrecks?

Will you be penetrating wreck interiors or just doing the occasional swim through a wide open space that is commonly traversed by recreational divers? If you were penetrating, you probably wouldn't be asking this question, as you would already have the training and the gear for diving in overhead environments, so my guess is you're just diving those wrecks the way hordes of divers do every day on the Red Sea wreck safaris, and I'm sure not all of them have any special gear or training or give much consideration to the type of regs they're using.

Will you be penetrating wreck interiors or just doing the occasional swim through a wide open space that is commonly traversed by recreational divers? If you were penetrating, you probably wouldn't be asking this question, as you would already have the training and the gear for diving in overhead environments, so my guess is you're just diving those wrecks the way hordes of divers do every day on the Red Sea wreck safaris, and I'm sure not all of them have any special gear or training or give much consideration to the type of regs they're using.
In other words: yoke will be fine with this kind of diving.

Yoke will be OK if not penetrating, but DIN is always better, although perhaps unnecessarily so.
If penetrating -- and that includes swim-throughts -- DIN is preferable. It is a stronger connection, less likely to be knocked off.

I think the message should be then: don't buy a DIN regulator just for that one week of wreck swim-throughs in the Red Sea. If wreck diving (or any regular diving in an overhead environment) is in your future, though, DIN's the way to go.

In other words: yoke will be fine with this kind of diving.
I believe so--assuming "this kind of diving" is what I described.

My diving is mostly USA, Caribbean and SE Asia. I am going to Egypt for 1 week of wreck diving. How concerned should I be using a Yoke regulator in wrecks?
Very good answers for you above.
Do you have your own tanks for when you are in the US? If you plan diving with your own tanks while in the US and they are DINs then get a DIN regulator. If you don't have your own tanks and don't plan on getting any (ie: renting), then I would go the Yoke route. I would not mix and match as it gets messy.

As a companion to another question, I am about to buy a new regulator. Without getting into a DIN vs. Yoke debate...
Yokes are just fine for that purpose; and I don't know anyone who began diving -- in the US at least -- in the late 1970s, who had ready access to DIN equipment. We dove that way for decades; the yokes never considered a hazard by anyone I knew; and I am aware of no one who had ever had a properly-mounted, pressurized regulator, yoke or otherwise, have it "knocked off."

Absurd.

My original equipment had been conveniently shipped, back then, with a screw-on yoke; so you could go either way, within seconds, from day-one; no fuss, no muss . . .

Back
Top Bottom