Your Dive Mentor: Who, why and what have they contributed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading this, I guess I'd have to mention my buddy DoubleDip. Kirk and I were put together by a mutual friend who was tired of both of us bugging him to go practice skills. He said we were meant for one another, and he was right :) We've dived together for four years now, practicing everything, passing Fundies together, taking Rec Triox and Rec 2 and NAUI Helitrox/Rec 3 and Cave 1 together. I definitely would not have gotten where I am today, if I hadn't had a patient buddy who was willing to go out and watch me screw up over and over again, and laugh about it.

StreetDoctor, you'd probably succeed in luring more people toward DIR diving if you were more positive and patient toward them. People don't KNOW what they are missing in their diving or their education; some aren't interested, but many just don't know any different. Taking new divers diving and just letting them see what you do and how you do it is a powerful and non-threatening way to show folks what's possible. Not everyone in matching colored gear is a dunce, you know. I'd kill for orange fins . . .

Well really Max Bottomtime has been a mentor, and friend/enemy.

But Greg Cooke has saved MANY a dive for me.
If it broke, or I forgot it, he had it in his truck.
Awesome dude!

Jeff, welcome to Scubaboard.

Couldn't agree more. I've gain alot of insight about SoCal diving from reading Max Bottomtime's reports and his photos of creatures I haven't seen have kept me in the water searching.

Signed, Another Member of the Greg Cooke fan club...:)

My OW instructor is one I'll recommend to anyone. He's got the patience of a saint, and he's very clear in the water with his instructions. I also have a group of friends that have all been great dive buddies. Sharon's always got helpful pointers, and it's nice to have people that don't look at you like a loon when you constantly talk about diving!

I am glad to hear that so many of you were able to secure good and reliable mentors. That is not always the case.

When I started diving, I did not have any friends who dived, and the local diving scene in Colorado is close to nonexistent. I did find many Mentors, though, the much more experienced divers I found when I went on diving trips. These people explained to me why logging dives was a waste of time, why there is no reason to do a buddy check, why there is no reason to stay close to a buddy if you are a good diver, why you didn't need to pay any attention to dive planning if you are following a DM--all kinds of helpful stuff.

Eventually I learned enough to be able to sort out the good advice from the bad advice, but it took a while. It was not until I started my professional training that I was able to work regularly with people who really did know what they were doing.

I guess what I am saying is that it can be hard for a new diver to tell the difference between a really solid Mentor and a blowhard with a lot of dives.

After 20 years of diving I've found my mentor. He's shown me cave diving and I am back to learning. I thought I was a good diver until I tried to ascend in a cave through a slight squeeze while reeling up the cave line. I found my buoyancy needed tons of work. He patiently chastised me to get my head out of rec and into tec. I did it and got my Intro to Cave in November. Thank you Marvin (zdiver.net). Unfortunately he won't read this. He is so tec that he only goes to Cavediver or rebreather world. His loss. My gain.

Lynne,

Colored gear rocks! I'd kill for a brightly colored pair of jetfins, when that's more important than anything else though I'm not too interested in diving with you :wink: A lot of the things that I say on scubaboard should not be taken seriously and I think you'd find I'm a completely different person in real life. I'm actually thinking about adding a disclaimer. Scuba diving is about having fun and nothing on the internet should be taken that seriously :D There isn't a very large scuba presence from the Chicago area anyways, I couldn't care less if some guy from Maine thinks I'm an a$$hole because of something that was said on a message board, to me they're missing the whole point. :wink: I guess I'm a bit odd in that sense? LOL

Greetings mselanous and My dive mentor " MSDT Mark" has been a close cherished friend who not only offers advice I ask for but speaks to truth even if it hurts. He has a undeniable talent for communicating things in a tactful yet not bashing. But when duty calls he lets it go and I have learned much from these moments. Instructor, dive buddy, great friend no doubt about it. He has challenged me to dive deeper and experience the passion for scuba that he embodies. His infectious quest for more dive knowledge has spurred me on into areas of diving that I only dreamed of.
Next would be Matt Wetzel a dive buddy that has led me into the tech world. Doubles, DIR, and expanding the limits of my diving. Scuba gear inovations and tips are always coming from Matt he has done some amazing field work with scuba gear.
I really am thankful for the contributions that both of these men have made in my personal evolution as a diver. I hope that they continue to do so for many years to come.
Diving has also introduced me to a very special DM Linda Colter. We joke about having the same brain and in many things we can know what the other is thinking.
In my OW pool dives Linda's patient commitment to help me achieve the skills was a big reason for my success. She has been a never ending source of encouragement and friendship. As a DMC she IS what a DM need's to be! Kudos Linda you are the best! Let's get the Dry Suit going!
Safe diving and be sure to thank your mentors!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Lynne,

Colored gear rocks! I'd kill for a brightly colored pair of jetfins, when that's more important than anything else though I'm not too interested in diving with you :wink: A lot of the things that I say on scubaboard should not be taken seriously and I think you'd find I'm a completely different person in real life. I'm actually thinking about adding a disclaimer. Scuba diving is about having fun and nothing on the internet should be taken that seriously :D There isn't a very large scuba presence from the Chicago area anyways, I couldn't care less if some guy from Maine thinks I'm an a$$hole because of something that was said on a message board, to me they're missing the whole point. :wink: I guess I'm a bit odd in that sense? LOL

I've met you in person and still think you're a jerk.....and you reflect badly on those of us who are not real life jerks....

my dive mentors? i suppose this is true for many not just me, my mentor would be Lynne F, ts&m on this board. She grabbed my attention when i was new newbie as someone approachable and very very knowledgeable and I pm'd her with endless questions about gear, trim, buoyancy, even tried her in the love department...LOL>although we have never dived together, her words of wisdom, her trials and tribulations always seem like ones I would make.

Bob Sherwood has held a place in my head as one who knows exactly what to do and when to do it. From the first time i heard about GUE. I hopefully will be taking class with bob (finally) after listening to what he was saying to anyone at the quarry about diving...really i wasn't stalking...LOL

I am sure more mentors are to come. I look forward to it.

ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom