Your Favorite Toronto Dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all I would like to say that I am glad I was told about this site. I have been doing alot of post reading and enjoy the comments and info.
In regards to the comments about slander and crap...If the person writing this has ever been involved with diving business or training they would know that the dive industry is riddled with this type of communication. It seems that we or they are always having cat fights or miscommunications. This industry has a great amount of professionals. I respect a great deal of them and have workind with them as well. But....it has been and always will be this way.
The scuba industry is like a beauty pagent...when the curtains are up they all smile and love each other, when the curtain falls the claws come out!

SneakyB'tard once bubbled...

The scuba industry is like a beauty pagent...when the curtains are up they all smile and love each other, when the curtain falls the claws come out!
That is just too deep..... let me check my tables

SneakyB'tard once bubbled...
Too true. Statements are usually preceeded by "Now normally I would never say anything bad about another shop, but" Sometimes it's a legitimate concern, more often a cheap shot at a competitor. Locally we have 3 LDS, who all seem content to live and let live. I've never heard a negative comment about any from any other, at worst a "won't comment" or "don't know". One is more tech oriented and until recently had the only nitrox fill and the other 2 will refer there when appropriate.
I read a quote a few years ago that could apply here.
Small minds discuss people.
Average minds discuss issues and
Large minds discuss ideas.

So let's see the larger minds in all of us.
:peace:

o2diver once bubbled...
You Forgot Dive Source in Whitby.
Great place, great bunch of people.
http://www.divesource.com

TTFN

I bought all my gear there. Very helpful staff and, I felt, fair pricing on a package. I live in downtown TO and I drove there to shop.

Also, this was one of the few shops I've been to that didn't slag lines of equipment which they don't carry. When I did my shopping for regs I looked around a lot. After a lot of salesman I was eventually told by at least one person that every line of reg on the market was unreliable and shouldn't be bought. God I hate that. I bought here because I received what appeared to be an objective evaluation of pros and cons without the petty insults.

But I have found that better establishments, be it dive shops our any other service industry that the better shops don't slag their competition, in fact many of the better ones will suggest a another shop to find the product the customer is looking for if they don't carry that brand etc......

I find the ones that slag their competition, I don't really go back, and if I have to I spend very little time there. I get what I need and leave ASAP.........

:(
Well, I have to say that I stumbled upon this site accidentaly and am surprised at all the slander that is being put up on here. People need not trash other dive stores and focus more on what is working well at other shops. I find that if you have a complaint about a particular training facility, it is helpful for you to go to the owner/manager and tell them about it. That way you give them the opportunity to rectify the problem. All this slander does no one any good and is bad for the industry as a whole.
Anyway, we should all get along and try and make scuba diving the number one sport out there. We will only be able to attain this goal if we all unite and help all the shops around us prosper. If you want to see a product or service offered at your local dive facility, rather than trash it for not having it, ask the owner why they don't and see if they can help you out. You will be surprised how many store owners will point you in the right direction if only you make the effort to ask.
My only other question is how is Upper Canada Scuba recieving votes if they are no longer open? LOL. :) Oh well. Happy diving everyone!!!!!!!!!

I choose Scuba 2000. It's the shop I've been dealing with since I started diving. I haven't actually been to Tam Dive's store, but I have seen them and other stores represented at Underwater Canada and other shows. No matter where you go, you're going to find great people to deal with. It seems to me that no matter where you go you should look for these qualities:
-knowledgeable of the product lines of all the manufacturers
-good range of training available
-good facilities to do the training in
-organize local diving activities
-organize tropical trips

Scuba 2000 fits all of these attributes for me. I've gotten to know most of the staff there over the years. They make me feel like family when I walk in the door.

Hello

I've just about been to all the Toronto dive shops and found that they all have there ups and downs. Some suck and some are pretty decent. What makes the dive shop is customer service and a shop owner who has passion for diving. I find there are to many people who think they can open and reinvent the dive shop business only to become hate full, ignorant and hating it.

Normoxic

My vote goes to SCUBA 2000. I may have not visited every dive store in the GTA but I have made purchases from most of them. Alec, who has probably forgotten more about scuba than most of us will ever know, has put together a world class facility. The Scuba 2000 pro shop is bright and well stocked with equipment. The staff are knowledgeable and friendly. The satisfaction guarantee is unparallelled. Their on-site tropical pool is a treat to train in and they have programs running every weekend. If you are thinking about learning to dive, check out the other operations but definitely see what Scuba 2000 has to offer before making your final decision. If you are a diver who lives in the GTA and have not yet visited Scuba 2000 to see what the future of diving is all about, you are doing yourself a disservice and you are probably still paying for air fills. Believe me, it is worth the drive to Richmond Hill.

Back
Top Bottom