Your fellow SBer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a lot of SBers have a serious diving addiction and have to come here for a methadone treatment in between fixes.

Some posters are very, very patient and repeat the same things to newbies all the time. They probably deserve sainthood. Some newbies are too quick to jump on other newbies and mention "Darwin" too often. Too many instructors on a thread can spoil the fun as it inhibits people from stating how they feel, which may be contrary to authority. Some of our posters are walking encylopedias of diving and relate good information. My favorite kind of SBer has a sense of humor. And I always appreciate a good troll. I think SB is typical of any hobby BBS where people are enthusiastic.

NadMat:
I am with Texdiveguy and others in that SB, like most communities on or offline, has all kinds. One plus of an online community is the iggy button for those who you really don't care to hear from :wink:

I think SB is better than average for both on and offline communities as far as total number of jerks & posers go. While there may be some I don't agree with, most can 'agree to disagree' without becoming offended or offensive. And there are many whose opinions I value even if I don't agree very often, they help provide different perspectives and get me thinking outside of 'my' box. Also, there are many who have tons of invaluable experience and are willing to share it with us, a priceless resource.

Some SB'rs I know thru online posts only, but feel I have pretty good idea of what the're about and look forward to both meeting and diving with them. A limited few I would not, but that would be a very few and not include everyone I have on iggy.

The SB'rs I have met personally have all been wonderful, but are mostly fellow swampers so maybe that is a Texas thing rather than an SB thing :wink: :D but I think and hope not.

just my 2psi...
Matt

Hey,,,thanks Matt for your input,,,,We Swampers do have something over the rest-right!! LOL

TheRedHead:
I think a lot of SBers have a serious diving addiction and have to come here for a methadone treatment in between fixes.

Some posters are very, very patient and repeat the same things to newbies all the time. They probably deserve sainthood. Some newbies are too quick to jump on other newbies and mention "Darwin" too often. Too many instructors on a thread can spoil the fun as it inhibits people from stating how they feel, which may be contrary to authority. Some of our posters are walking encylopedias of diving and relate good information. My favorite kind of SBer has a sense of humor. And I always appreciate a good troll. I think SB is typical of any hobby BBS where people are enthusiastic.

Cool....a good take on the board,,,,the reason I posted this was just out of interest...thanks for your views!

I do have to thank CIBDiving for new uses for scuba weights.

texdiveguy:
Dennis I see you and Red both have been on the thread posting,,,,but neither of you have contributed??? Lets hear your take.............. :-0

I posted that SparticleBrane covered my thoughts. In any social situation you at all kinds of people and this is true of SB. I like what Red says about having a sense of humor. A lot of the things you read might not be the absolute truth. What really irks me are posters who are not truthful in their posts or change what they have said in the past. It only takes a minute to look through their old posts and throw up their own words for all to see.

Diver Dennis:
I posted that SparticleBrane covered my thoughts.
What a cop out.

wouldn't that be a mountie out :D

There are a number of people who I try to read what they have to say on a regular basis. I don't always agree or understand, but I value the information. I have met some people here I wouldn't have met other wise, and there are some I hope to meet someday... some local, some not.

There are plenty on here who know a whole lot less than they think they do. At one point in time, I probably fit in this category. As my father used to say, speaking with great authority about that which one knows nothing. These people are a challenge, especially to a new diver. It can be difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Then there are those I choose not to read, or read very little of what is blathered... about anything.

As it is on many of the chat boards I read, I find myself lurking more and more and posting less.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom