zeagle /atomic regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gutrngo1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
still shopping for regs an have narrowed it down to zeagle dsv or atomicz2x . my lds sells both an i can get 30% off both which leaves me at a 100.00 upgrade for the atomic .so what do you think zeagle or atomic .
:idk:thanks for any advice ...:idk:

They are both great. I use Zeagles, but a lot of my buddies choose Atomic. When I was doing my Intro to Tech class, and we were doing a lot of air share drills, we both commented that we couldn't tell the difference in breathing quality.

The atomic is a piston reg, the Zeagle is a diaphragm. I prefer diaphragm for cold water, but the piston can be used, but you have to have it setup for cold water, which involves having part of the first stage injected full of grease. I'm not a fan of that setup.

Also, if you ever see yourself doing your own service work, Zeagle is easy to get parts for. Atomic can be a pain.

Jim

A few years ago I was making the same decision. I had previously dived with a set of Zeagles. Fine performing regs. Zeagle openly sells parts kits which is great for those who want to service their own regs. But went with the Atomics because I liked the design on the second stage better. It is slightly smaller where as the Zeagle second was bulky. Today one can parts kits for Atomics so self service is not such an issue.

Something else I have come to like about Atomic is that they really have not changes their designs in 15 years. Small improvements yes but majot design changes no. As such, repairing and updating older regs is not a problem.

Something else I have come to like about Atomic is that they really have not changes their designs in 15 years. Small improvements yes but majot design changes no. As such, repairing and updating older regs is not a problem.

I'd say the same thing applies to Zeagle. Not quite 15 years, I think more like 11, but they haven't made any major changes, just refinements. All of their diaphragm first stages use the same service kit, and all their second stages use the same kit.

The Zeagles I have owned have been pretty hefty but have worked well. The Atomics are lighter and IMO the Z2 line is a great value line. They have all the engineering of the higher end models only made with less expensive metals. I would also skip the Z2X and go for the Z2 with a miflex hose. Costs less, works just as well as the swivel hose and it is lighter.

thanks for the input ..i can get the z2x for the same price as the z2 .the atomic are cheaper but once i add the z2 octo it works out to be 100.00 more than the zeagle withenvoy octo. so like i originally said should i go for the atomic for 100.00 more or being i'm getting 2 for my daughter perhaps 1 of each since i'm torn

Ultimately, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both are great products. Choose the one you like the best, or go for the better price.

perhaps 1 of each since i'm torn

I would say get the same for both you and your daughter. Makes it easy when it comes to spare parts. Not that you will really need them but just in case.

Jimmer - good info on the Zeagle and changes. Because we went with the Atomics I have not followed what other mfg have done. But consistency is a good sign.

I recently bought 2 sets of Atomic M1s for my doubles. Great hose routing and you cant beat the Atomic quality. However, most high quality regs these days breath pretty much the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom