Zeagle Flathead XI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeagle Flathead VI regulators should breathe very well, right out of the box, wet or dry. I just used one at 200' and it performed extremely well. (Some old model regulators can still breathe pretty good too, especially at the surface, and if properly adjusted.)

A regulator on land does not have water pressure against the diaphragm, which can allow it to buzz or honk a little, whereas it would not when underwater. It's an irrelevant harmonics issue, and it should still breathe well.

If they breathe poorly, in the + position, on an unrestricted supply source, it means something is not right with the regulator, most likely the adjustment internally and/or the seat is fatigued. It's not the hose.

It's regrettable that their condition from the factory and from the dealer, was not found and corrected before you received them. Let me be the first one from Zeagle to apologize! I'm the FL rep, not TX, but that doesn't matter. I don't know how... but as they say, stuff happens.

As Scubatoys said, they most likely just need adjustment to the optimum breathing setting. If the drive is too far I'd suggest ground shipping the regs to them to correct. Scubatoys is your dealer, and as many on this board will atest, a darned good one! Please give them a chance to rectify this problem and impress you with good customer service. Zeagle will of course take care of Scubatoys.

Regards,

Chad Carney

Chad... No apologies necessary. I've been doing this for a long time too. Don't tell anybody, but I got tired of logging dives back in about '92 when I hit 1000. I have no idea where I'm at now. Shame on me for not keeping accurate logs! :(

I sincerely think that it's just an adjustment issue. By no means did my other regs breathe as easy as they do now straight off the shelf and I'd be silly to expect anybody elses to. (I know I'm picky!) I'm trying to get enough coffee into me this morning to brave the drive up to Dallas because I have no concerns that both Zeagle and Scubatoys will take care of me. :)

Thanks for your response though. People like you are just another reason I'm proud to be on my second Ranger and introducing my hubby to y'alls stuff. I'll be up there either today (if the coffee kicks in - Mondays suck!) or Wednesday, I'm hoping they can stick the regs on the bench for me while I'm there. Either way, I'll be sure to pop back on here and let everyone know how things turn out.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wow! Okay.... So.... Three tanks of gas and about 7 hours of driving later, our Flatheads are breathing just the way I'd hoped they would! I'm so pumped to get them in the water I'll probably be in the pool in the next 30 minutes or so.

Mega kudos to everybody at Scubatoys for hooking me up and to Zeagle for putting out such a great product! I'll pop in again and let y'all know what I think of them after I've gotten them wet, but I'm sure we'll be happy. :D:D:D:D

Enjoy the regs, you earned it....

My Envoy did the same thing, after the 3rd dive it was breathing hard, took it to one dealer (because I got it from scubatoys and I had a dive on saturday, I didn't want to ship it back), he couldn't figure it out.

Took it to another dealer (at the last moment.. friday evening), after 2 seconds he figured out that the IP dropped a bit, fixed it, in 5 minutes I was out and a perfect regulator in my hands, I asked him if he can fine tune it, fully open will freeflow a bubble a second, he got it right.

During that whole story, I contacted Zeagle, Jim Fox was REALLY helpful and guided me how to check it by myself, he did say that if I try to do any fine tuning myself it will void the warranty and even offered I'll ship it to the factory and their techies will fine tune it for me.

Guess which regulator I'm considering for my next purchase?

Apparently it needs a bit of time to be broken in...

Oh, even on devil's ear, where the flow was really hard, I've heard a hissing from my reg, closed the knob a bit and the hissing is gone.

I like my Zeagle.. :D

I put 'em in the pool and boy are they sweet now! I CAN NOT WAIT to get them in some "real" water.... :D

The cracking pressure on them was too high for my taste... kind of like trying to suck an ice cube through a straw. They tuned it down for me. (I think it started out at around 1.4ish and they got it down to around 1.1... My Conshelf was at .9 for what that's all worth?!?) This will put me at greater risk of surface freeflows (or being forcefed air if I'm swimming into a current) when they loosen up after a few dives, but better that than starting tight. I can tighten them back up again and they do have those dandy little adjustment knobs on the second stage to play with.

I’m in the market for the Zeagle or Apeks and to me it sounds like this is a potential problem out of the box with the Zeagle which needs to be looked at by a DS. Once adjusted is sounds like a great rig, but is there some kind of weak link where this (cracking pressure) will be an ongoing issue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom