Zeagle Ranger / Tech with doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I started my doubles diving with my ranger. I switched to a Tech when my wife took the ranger. Later I switched to a tech pack because there isn't anywhere on the ranger or the tech to put a canister light on the hip. I did hundreds of dives in these setups. I now use a bp/wing only wether diving singles or doubles.

The problems we had with the bc's are as follows:
When inflated the wing pushes the tanks away fron the diver especially with the tech pack. this is because part of the wing is between you and the tanks and the tanks are not held rigidly to you like they are with a plate. That brings us to the next problem and that is the whole rig is not as rigid (stable) as the plate. The addition of a crotch strap helps but doesn't get you all the way there. The next problem is the shoulder D-rings and the quick releases. I carry my backup lights hogarthian style which means the release is covered by the light and the lower end of the light is bungied to the lower side of the shoulder strap which is that soft webing. Also, I was not happy with the location of the shoulder d-rings and there isn't much adjustment. All the other rings are useless. They are in the wrong places and of course they put extra ones on the tech that nobody could ever use. I think they are for looks or for the guys who want to dress like Christmas trees. Balance and trim is the other area where a plate comes out ahead. The fact that the plate holds the tanks closer to the back and the weight of the plate (which is right up against the back) makes for much better balance wether at the surface or at depth.

I went through an awful lot of work trying to make the bc's work with double only to end up going to a plate anyway. I have never used a plate with a Zeagle but you still have all the other problems.

I am a Zeagle dealer and for a long time tried to get them to make the bc's more tech freindly. their response was to add more rings and pockets. they are clearly designing them to apeal to the tech wannabees not tech divers. Given that they are located right near cave country and some of their employees must be cave divers I can't understand them not undersanding what cave and tech divers need.

I have converted my tech pack to a sidemount rig it looks good. I hope it works.

I can understand that doubles on a Ranger or Tech without a backplate might be somewhat unstable, but with this new optional back plate Zeagle has, I was thinking that might solve the problem. As far as the wings relationship with the tanks, I was wondering about that myself. A cave diver I know says he prefers the Zeagles to the BP/Wings. I have dived and done deco stops with multiple people who wear the Ranger or Tech, and who have what I would describe as perfect trim and buoyancy. They are totally motionless during the stop.

The bottom line is this, I'm going to buy a tech with a back plate. I've ordered it, it's done. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and get the Halcyon set-up. Keep in mind my application is spearfishing, so I'm willing to have a little more drag and have pockets and ditchable weight (if I need any weight).

Who the hell am I fooling, I'll probably buy the Halcyon set-up even if I love the Zeagle. I'm too curious at this point not to do it. I'll just have to let my checking account recover for a couple of months from the manifolds, bcd, etc.! :D Thanks for that input, Mike.

Hey, scubaholic, thanks for that earth shattering revelation. What a contribution.

O-ring once bubbled...
But, I took a picture of some the last time I was in VA Beach...this is on the Flying Fish...

Note: Picture was not taken because I was impressed...

Flying fish wear doubles?

Flying fish wear doubles?
They like them for when they dip back in after a flight across the surface...you know, redundancy and all...

Seriously though, that is the name of a boat...

I was (note : was) diving a soft pack with doubles. Once I realized that due to my SAC - I would be diving 112s or something bigger....... I switched to the BP/wings. My X-Tek was OK with small doubles (unless I forgot the crotch strap in which case it was useless) but for the larger I really needed the plate

heck, I can always add D-Rings

When he put on the rig it looked pretty bad...but, I bet with the addition of that plate option it would work out ok.

Zeagle makes and sells cam bands for doubles. A friend of mine bought them. I have no clue how good it worked out for him.

hi,
i use my Zeagle Ranger with Little Bertha (double 55 blader). Since I use also doubles ad single tanks, there is a easy solution for it. Here in Israel, hundreds of tek divers do it that way, since no one is diving bp/wing. Just take the long cam bands. On the rear side of the zeagle, our current single cam bands are behind only 2 stripes of the back side... slide the long cam bands along the all 4 vertical stripes of the back side of the back of the tech...
even without backplate added, your tanks will be very secure there....

if you need some more info, get back to me.

sasha

I have not priced the Zeagle Stabilizer plates, but the ones that Dive Rite makes are about $15. They are very large washers, that's all.

leadweight once bubbled...
I have not priced the Zeagle Stabilizer plates, but the ones that Dive Rite makes are about $15. They are very large washers, that's all.
What leadweight meant to say was that you should E-bay your Zeagle and get a bp/wing. Right, leadweight?

:wink:

If you do decide to stay with the Zeagle Tech when setting up your doubles I HIGHLY recommend the Zeagle crotch strap. It really helps keep everything from shifting around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom