Votes: 18 81.8%
  • sail boats

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Multi hulls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D M I

Reaction score
Hello

What type of dive boat do you prefere to dive off of and why.

Cheers

D M I

Okay, here are my reasons. Some of them may be superficial though.

1) I like the ease of getting back into the boat when there is a proper ladder. I'm usually tired after a dive and struggling to get in the boat is not something I look forward to.

2) The dive boats I've been on all had a covered section. I like having an area on the boat that is dry and out of the sun (okay I'm fair, I burn easily), wind, rain, spray.

3) So where's the head on a zodiac?? It's easy for guys, they can stand and go. Who wants to hold my drysuit while I hang my butt over the side??? (not happening!)

Upon stating these points, I have to admit I have never been diving from a zodiac or a sailboat (and I don't know what a multi hull is). I've only been diving from diveboats and once from a 14ft aluminum boat in the DR. I did watch some divers try to get back in their sailboat and it was waayyy to much work!

Diverlady

Diverlady - reason number 3 is too funny!!! :D

I prefer dive boats as well here in cold water. But I have dove off a zodiac like boat in the carribean. It is much easier to get in when you don't have that much gear on, plus its fun doing a back roll into the water.

Never dove off a sail boat or multi-hull either though.

Why isn't there a choice for fiberglass boats in the 18-24 foot range. It's a popular choice that a lot of divers own for diving and fishing down here in FL.

Hi Dennis

OK! we mist that one for you, but you can add your likes and dislikes in your message.

D M I

I've only dove from dive boats, and only two of them, but they were both fine. I've sailed on catamarans on the Caribbean but not dove from one. That would be a magically relaxing proposition though - a catamaran sail to the dive site, then back.

Its nice when the dive boat exhaust pipe doesn't come out right by the ladder, diesel and diving don't mix!!

Is this a market research question?

Depends on the dive and distance to site/speed/size of the boat and how many people are diving.

Never really thought it made much difference to me otherwise as long as the boat is up to the task. Zods are not hard to get into if you have reasonable upper body strength and take your gear off in the water first. But, my sister has a hard time getting into mine (could be because i usually end up pushing her back out a few times :) )

steve

7 days diving at COCOs Island and I have a modified opinion of rubber boats. From the Aggressor we got into a rubber boat, and by the 4th dive of the day, getting in was a much greater challenge than it was in my younger days. I use to love them, had one in Italy, but that was 20 years ago. I prefer a dive boat with a ladder now...

I enjoy doing my diving out of a proper dive boat. So much easier having a ladder.

When I was in Portugal in the summer they used Zodiacs over there and they are very difficult to get into when you are loaded with gear and physically you are a large person. I was more tired after trying to get in then I was on the dive.

I dive from both my buddies 13 foot Zodiac and my own 18 foot fiberglass bowrider and I much prefer the 18 footer,theres more room ,its faster and more comfortable in rough water The only time we use the Zodiac is when we are diving very rocky shallow areas with small islands where we can pull the Zodiac up to gear up or have lunch.

Back
Top Bottom