Votes: 18 81.8%
  • sail boats

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Multi hulls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I "think" I'd prefer a dive boat. That said I really haven't done much charter wise yet. My boat diving has been mostly my own sailboat. Getting back aboard is a bit of work (even without scuba gear). I have a new ladder I'm installing for next season that should take care of that. We did one long weekend trip this year, outbound Saturday, dove 2 wrecks Sunday and back home on Monday. We had 3 divers, 2 tanks each. It was probably the most laid back and relaxing weekend of my whole summer. Sure beat 3 hours (or more)driving, dive, 3 hour drive home that many of my dive trips seem to be. Head, galley etc. right there. I didn't set foot on land from Firday eve, till Monday late afternoon. The biggest downside is the relativeley slow speed. The plus side, I put $10 worth of fuel (diesel) in this spring and haven't used all of it yet.
We're looking at buying an inflatable (zodiac) for a tender. I have tried to get back into one when swimming, made reboarding my sailboat feel like a simple task. How the heck do you get back in with scuba gear.

Using the head on a zodiac is like farting, you don't advertise, you just get that funny look on your face as you are 'treading' water, then you deftly (quickly) get out of the water, and tell your buddy 'Hey look, there's some porpoises swimming over there, let's take a look" :) zeN

There's no way in hell I'm gonna slug a set of doubles from the water into a Zodiak!

Gimme a big-a$$ ladder any day.

And no stinkin' cattle boats!! The bigger the boat the better.

Doin' the Empress off a 27ft "tub" is as tough as I wanna ever get. It's OK in an ALU80, but full tech gear!! NO WAY.

I've dove off of my friends 18' SeaOx and my own 19' Stealth bass-boat. I must say his is lot easier to dive from (could stand to be another 4' longer though), more proper storage and better ladder. With my boat you definitely leave the gear in the water to climb aboard. Haven't dove from a true dive-boat yet, but looking forward to it. I'd probably dive off of anything just to be diving:wink: .

I definitely prefer a dive boat... I don't think it makes uch differnece if the boat is a sailboat or a powerboat.. I dove of a 65ft sailboat in the Bahamas (Blackbeards) and it was great.. I've also done dive boats (steel and fiberglass) and they were fine.. Even my 24ft Bayliner was OK.. but only for single tanks.. and only with two divers.. there just wasn't room for more and in rough weather I was afraid the tanks would go through the floor :) The size of the boat (bigger is better....) and the design of the ladder are the key.. I tried hauling my considerable bulk plus doubles into a fiberglass diveboat in 3 ft swells via a little clip on t-bar ladder.. that was sheer hell.. eventually took all the gear off and it took three of us to hoist it up over the considerable freeboard.. It was a truly goofy setup for a diveboat..
Personally I prefer large steel boats with big Ladders.. Nice and stable.. lots of room, easy to get in and out of...No more and 12 divers per boat... I own a 40ft trawler that's just awesome for diving :)
I've tried getting into a Zodiac in the Bahamas.. even with a single it was tough and I have pretty good upper body strength.. I know I couldn't do it with my doubles on.. I'd flip the boat in the process..or kill myself.. :)
The speed of the boat isn't that important to me.. just as long as its a stable dive platform.. from an owners perspective.. I prefer diesel inboards.. 'cause they are mechanically simple and cheap on gas. well.. er.. diesel I guess..
'nough said..

And still no one has offered to hold my drysuit while I go. See? No one wants me to have to do that!

Diverlady

Gee Spark, I know you have a NICE boat, but I have no personal diving experence on it myself, but as soon as I do, I'll tell ya how I like it :D

Hint hint,........... I know, I know it's not in "official service" yet.

Oh yeah, I missed the Champagne trip too...........

Oh I'm such a prick!

Actually Spark I'm interested in your boat ..........big-time. Whadya think the boss would say?

Back
Top Bottom