Uwatec Galileo Sol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blacthorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just wondering if this comp is out yet, and if it is if anyone had a chance to use one, impressions etc.

If not, then umm well once it comes what do you think of it..lol

Thanks

Jarrod Jablonski's impression:

"We have been testing the beta of this unit for several months and I must say that I am impressed by several of its features. The bottom time and depth ceiling are finally placed at 999 and 999 respectively. While this will not be important to many it is very nice on long and/or deep dives. The compass on the unit is also very effective and easy to read; it measures in 1 degree intervals with a graphic and/or numerical display. It also seems well insulated against changes in orientation, providing accuracy even when tilted. The size of the unit may put off some users though the increased visibility and diversity of presented information will weigh over for most. The constant back light option is also extremely nice in small environments and the unit allows one to scroll through a bevy of information. The heart monitor designed to integrate with decompression models also works in gauge mode. Even this is fun, at least as a novelty."

I've got a few dives on a prototype model and will be getting a production one soon to give a good thrashing to.

Great computer – capable of four transmitters, three for you and one for your buddy's first stage so you know how much air they have; big, user-changeable display; easy-to-navigate menus, etc; useable compass; heart rate monitor to adjust deco obligations, etc; user-changeable battery, etc.

Mark

This computer is turning me on. Very drool-worthy.

I wonder how much it's going to cost me once they finally release it? LOL

Then I have to figure out what I should do with my $1k+ SmartTec that has NOTHING wrong with it...

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6410

Galileo SOL, available March 20, $1427.38 USD

Exclusive integrated POLAR Heart Rate monitoring system. POLAR is the market leader in heart rate monitoring technology. Galileo SOL combines proven UWATEC wireless air integration technology with POLAR heart rate information to provide the most accurate diver monitoring system.
User Customizable screen. Choose from Full, Classic or Light screen views to display only the information appropriate to you and your dive. Also customize graphical displays of tissue loading.
Full-Tilt Digital Compass with Bearing Memory. Full screen display gives compass bearing with off-bearing directional arrows whilst still displaying essential dive information. Adjustable global declination.
Hoseless Gas Integration with True Remaining Bottome Time Calculation. Up to 3 UWATEC Smart transmitters can be paired to Galileo to monitor your gas consumption and give an accurate calculation of remaining bottom time plus an additional transmitter can monitor that of your buddy.
Predictive Multi-Gas Algorithm. Galileo can be switched from standard single gas ZH-L8 ADT MB to PMG.
Updatable Processor that can be reprogrammed via Infrared.
EN Certification to 330m. In dive mode, Galileo will monitor to a depth of 120m. For dives exceeding 120m Galileo automatically switches to gauge mode.
User-replaceable battery with tissue loading memory. User changeable battery in both wrist unit and Smart Transmitter. Galileo displays graphical remaining battery life and retains any desaturation requirement even if the battery requires changing between dives.
Language option.
Customizable start-up picture
Owner and Emergency information menu - name, medical information, contact details.
Picture & Text Viewer. Display images of dive sites or text messages to communicate with your buddy. Uploaded via SmartTRAK.
Profile View. Galileo can display you dive profile not only in logbook mode, but also during the dive. Includes a predictive profile view, displaying ideal ascent information and decompression stop requirements.
Graphical tissue loading display. Shows all tissue loading (CNSO2, Skin, Muscle & bone) in one graph.
Gas Summary. Displays up to date cylinder pressure information for all cylinders currently paired to Galileo.
Deco Summary. Full display of PMG decompression calculation.
All UWATEC Core Technology features :
Microbubble Suppression Technology
User-adjustable Backlight
Time & Date display with wake up alarm
Time zone offset adjustment
Full decompression planner
Adjustable PPO2 - 1.2-1.6Bar
Nitrox from 21-100% in 1% increments
Gauge Mode.
Adjustable Safety-stop timer 1-5minutes (can be set to automatic or user activated)
User customizable warnings - Audible, Visual, Both or Off, for CNSO2%, Max depth, Remaining No-Stop Time, Decompression, Max Time Dive, Turnaround Time, cylinder pressure, remaining bottom time, Level Stop, MB stop missed and others.
User changeable Nitrox reset time (1-48hours or off).
Water type - Salt / Fresh.
Desaturation reset.
All Silent Mode - computer will not beep under any circumstance.
Altimeter.
FREE SmartTRAK dive log and profiling software.

My understanding is that the Sol won't be avialable in the US till the end of the year, I suppose you could buy it from a store in Europe and have them ship it, not sure its cool enough for me to do that, just yet,but its certainly the most interesting comp coming out that I have seen. At least till the VR-pi comes out....

Pretty cool, re the compass (tho I won't be discarding my SK7 anytime soon) and uploading simple pictures (rudimentary dive site maps, etc.), although I'd imagine the latter would be of limited use without extensive pre-dive knowledge of the sites you'd be visiting, unless you have your computer on the boat.

I wonder if it can display SAC rates DURING a dive? (Or at least onscreen afterwards.) Most seem to need a computer to crunch the numbers afterwards, but this sucker seems to have enough smarts that it just may be able to.

VERY cool is that batteries are finally user-replaceable. That should help resale value considerably.

Where did the Jerrod Jablonski quote come from? I'd be curious to see the source.

(Oh, that $1500 price tag appears to exclude the transmitter, which is another ~$337 or so, looks like.)

CompuDude:
Where did the Jerrod Jablonski quote come from? I'd be curious to see the source.

Quest List - check the Quest archive.

When will we get a version for diving with different gases, Tx, He, Nx etc

Jonas Isaksen:
When will we get a version for diving with different gases, Tx, He, Nx etc

I was at a Galileo Sol seminar at ADEX (in Bangkok) just now. Sergio Angelini (GM, UWATEC) said that the trimix software should be ready by the end of 2008 (to coincide with the 100th anniversary of Haldane's work on decompression theory). UWATEC has been working on a new, fully validated, deco model for helium (called Copernicus) since 2003 - the research and development is taking place in Norway. The Galileo currently has about 4MB of internal memory so this should leave room for the helium software upgrade (from UWATEC website via infrared interface - this should take 6 minutes or less), although Mr. Angelini stressed that he cannot guarantee that there will be enough memory left! The upgrade process is very easy and the Galileo will download and verify the upgrade before installing so there should be no problem if the transfer process is somehow interrupted.

Galileo's gauge mode display is very comprehensive - display includes depth, dive time (up to 99 hours and 59 minutes), tank pressure (temperature compensated), stopwatch (in hours, minutes and seconds), max. depth, ascent speed, heart rate and average depth (can be reset during dive). The digital compass function will work in gauge mode (with depth, dive time and stopwatch displayed on the same screen).

The Polar coded heart rate monitor belt (supplied) should be used, otherwise the Galileo unit may pick up stray signals in the 5 kHz. range). Uncoded Polar belt can be used but it is not recommended as interference from stray signals may still occur.

There is also plan for a "Galileo on a hose" model called Mozart. I also saw a new version of UWATEC's Digital Depth Gauge (aka UWATEC BT) - it's basically the same as the old BT but with an added average depth display (which unfortunately cannot be reset like on the Aladin TEC2G).

Both the Galileo Sol and the new Digital Depth Gauge is rated to 330m (conforming to EN13319) and has been chamber tested to 400m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom