Uwatec Galileo Sol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Galileo sol's manual page 74 "do not store Galileo in a sealed container, always ensure free ventilation".

Now, it's storage box is a box with an zipper, so esentialy an sealed box.
So should I use it it's original box to store it between dives, or not? suggestions?
Zippers aren't airtight, so it's not really sealed.

I just bought my Galileo Sol yesterday and am thrilled.
One of the main reasons I bought it was the large display screen and large numbers.
I'm 46 and though I have 20/20 vision my 'up close' vision is not what it used to be.
I'm disappointed they didn't go bluetooth, but if you can afford this computer you should be able to afford the silly infrared kit.
I bought it because I believe it to be one of the best and easiest to use computers on the market, but largely because of the easy to read screen.

I just bought my Galileo Sol yesterday and am thrilled.
One of the main reasons I bought it was the large display screen and large numbers.
I'm 46 and though I have 20/20 vision my 'up close' vision is not what it used to be.
I'm disappointed they didn't go bluetooth, but if you can afford this computer you should be able to afford the silly infrared kit.
I bought it because I believe it to be one of the best and easiest to use computers on the market, but largely because of the easy to read screen.

The IR kit is silly if purchased from Uwatec. Especially when any $12 generic model will suffice.

The IR kit is silly if purchased from Uwatec. Especially when any $12 generic model will suffice.

Since I am about to buy one of these things in a matter of weeks. I have got to ask for some details regarding this statement! Is this just a simple purchase or does it require some "hacking" of some sort? Have you done it successfully yourself? Last but not least would this work with my NEMO Excel too?

Thanks (in advance)

Robway

The IR is just an interface device. The Galileo comes with the smart trak software for your PC. Any IR capable device can talk to it. I actually used a PDA to talk to my smartcom, happily it looks like mcaffee may have fixed the compatibility issues, I have had no problems getting my galileo to talk to my pc since my last mcaffee upgrade.

Since I am about to buy one of these things in a matter of weeks. I have got to ask for some details regarding this statement! Is this just a simple purchase or does it require some "hacking" of some sort? Have you done it successfully yourself? Last but not least would this work with my NEMO Excel too?

Thanks (in advance)

Robway

I have the SmartTec, not the Galileo, but they work the same.

On a PC you can buy any little inexpensive off-the-shelf IR dongle (under $20, looks like a little USB thumb drive) and it will most likely work fine. No hacking required... plug it in (and load the drivers it came with, if any, if needed) and you're ready to go.

On a mac, it's a lot trickier because the geniuses who wrote the software for Uwatec didn't make it universally compatible, so you need a specific chipset in your IR adapter. Some cheapies work fine, but most don't. Only the stupidly expensive Uwatec IR adapter works with 100% confidence on the Mac.

I have no idea about your NEMO. Does it use IR to communicate with your computer, like the Uwatecs do?

Thanks (in advance)

Robway

The IR device requires driver software in order to operate. Think of it as "glue" or a yoke<->DIN adapter if you need a tank fill.

Without the right driver, all you have is an expensive piece of wire with a lump on the end.

IR devices from major manufacturers come with drivers, while really cheap models might not. Windows comes with drivers for some. for example, I'm certain that Uwatec just orders a bunch of IR adapters from somewhere in Asia, writes or buys the driver for it, and sticks it in a package. There's nothing magic in the box, except that it comes with someone you can complain to if it doesn't work.

However, just to muddy the water, there are really cheap IR devices that are actually the same as the expensive models, built with the same chip-set and use the same drivers and would work just fine.

The trick is to find out if you can get a driver for the cheap IR device. If you can, it should be fine.

Terry

Hi:

This is not complicated for PC users. I have a Galileo and SmartTec, and purchased an inexpensive IR dongle. The Windows XP drivers work fine on my Vaio laptop and no name desktop. There was no need to install other drivers.

The only issues I am aware of are the Mac issues previously discussed, issues with Macafee (I believe these are corrected), Vista drivers (I believe these are also corrected), and the need to position the computer really close to the dongle when you are downloading dives.

This interface is so much better than the USB cables I had on other computers: it is a snap to use. Also fun on my Treo.

Dan

Not being the most computer savvy person on the planet I spent more than I needed to because I wasn't aware inexpensive IR dongles would work. Oh well. Lesson learned.
That being said I'm thrilled with the new Galileo Sol as I dove with it for the first time this past weekend.
Nice big screen with all the data in one spot was nice. Playing with the digital compass (which is incredible) was fun as well and the dive log data retrievable after the dive was like having a butler dive with you and give you the details when you were done.
Again, not being a computer pro, I still found it very user friendly even when using it for the first time.
I'm loving my new Sol and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new comp. I haven't tried the heart rate monitor yet. I'll do that next time.
P.S. For those of you who like me are at the age where reading those little numbers is getting to be a strain and don't like the idea of diving with reading glasses, this screen is big and very easy to read.

Last edited:
Okay....Cool... Thanks for being patient and taking the time to explain this to me. I am actually starting to consider the smart-tech. Just thinking that the "sol" is just a step too far for my needs/taste. Anyway, I feel safe in saying that I won't be spending the money on the SP dongle.

MARES Nemo Excel uses an IR interface and MARES has a proprietary "reader" called the IRIS which I am not in any hurry to spend money on! Anyway, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom