SM Take 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey! You can't just post this and leave!!!!

How did it feel? How did you like it?!?!? Tell! :D

Apologies, I have a habit of posting and editing over 1-2 hours so you get "drip fed" as I work on my updates.

Dwayne

Two mods:

1. Replaced the shock cord with a continuous length. Essentially the same length as what I replaced but the extra 4" of shock cord that runs between the center D rings should make a difference. Interesting to note, Hollis use solid core shock cord.

2. I moved the lower rings up but also added a length of webbing (like a staple) to the underside of the plate so that the screw heads do not become a wear point. Do you like the Red?

Pictures attached...

Dwayne

Attachments

• 10 New Shock Cord.JPG
    10 New Shock Cord.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 11 Wing Protection.JPG
    11 Wing Protection.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 148
Two mods:

1. Replaced the shock cord with a continuous length. Essentially the same length as what I replaced but the extra 4" of shock cord that runs between the center D rings should make a difference. Interesting to note, Hollis use solid core shock cord.

2. I moved the lower rings up but also added a length of webbing (like a staple) to the underside of the plate so that the screw heads do not become a wear point. Do you like the Red?

Pictures attached...

Dwayne
Just curious, why one piece of bungee? I went with two joined in the center just in case one breaks.
148257_630202593805_201400707_35662553_4017760_n.jpg

Just curious, why one piece of bungee?
I use a single piece of bungee as well. The longer bungee is easier to pull. Mine is zip-tied to a 3/4" d-ring and is held in place by a sex bolt.

Just curious, why one piece of bungee? I went with two joined in the center just in case one breaks.

A number of different harnesses use continuous shock cord. The full length of the shock cord is actually the same length of the two cords I replaced with an extra 4" for the distance between the D rings. Overall appears easier to manipulate without increasing the length.

An alternative is to use the D rings on the underside of the harness - Not even sure its necessary to go over the top of the wing? Anyone know??

I have ordered a bunch of shock cord, stainless steel hog rings, and hog ring pliers plus some shrink wrap to make it pretty.

So... Open question -

Who uses shock cord only vs who uses shock cord/bolt snaps/chokers?

Steve Bogaerts and Steve Martin both appear to use the shock cord only with the twist around the manifold side of the tank valve followed by a twist of the tank as follows:

Shock Cord:
ShockCord.jpg

Followed by Tank Twist:
TankTwist.jpg

Dive Rite uses the choker and bolt snap:
DiveRiteChoker.jpg

Interesting hardware/Shock Cord combo featured on a number of Dive Rite videos... 1st stage appears to be also used as a hammer.
HardwareShockCordCombo.jpg

My observations:

Shock cord only:
* Keeps the first stage close to the body.
* Requires doubles valves with the large manifold connection to hook shock cord onto.
* Right tank uses opposite side valve so that valve is up and 1st stage is in.

Choker:
* Right tank is regular valve.
* The choker requires the rear of the valve and this means the first stage is facing out.
* 1st stage protects the valve:cool2:

Thanks,
Dwayne

Last edited:
148257_630202593805_201400707_35662553_4017760_n.jpg
Is that a Razor harness? That is the type of setup I've been thinking of putting together.

Is that a Razor harness? That is the type of setup I've been thinking of putting together.

Jimi; how about driving down to cave country and borrowing equipment to try out? Then you know what you'll need.

:popcorn:

What is the reason for running the bungees over the wing, rather than under, through the cam band slots? That set-up looks very similar to the Hollis SMS100 wing and Razor, except the Hollis wing is smaller.

Jimi; how about driving down to cave country and borrowing equipment to try out? Then you know what you'll need.

:popcorn:
That's a longish drive from Chattanooga. Look at ucfdiver's rig. Darn, now that is simple, and call me bullish, but that is what I like. If that is all he has in that rig and it works, I'll definitely be setting up something very similar. The local shops are setting up for SM. One will be using Dive Rite gear and the other Hollis. I'll try both, but; I can't get over the clean, simple, minimalist, set up of the Razor or the vision I have of making a setup similar to ucfdiver's. I need, I need, I need! :D :)

Back
Top Bottom