SM Take 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone has a strong opinion on what is best gear...usually it is what they own. Nomad and SMS are interchangeable...if you can swim one then you can swim the other. Observation of posts is that the Nomad guys sometimes sound a little too much like DIR Nazzi's. The idea behind a forum is a community of individuals sharing experiences and ideas...and not a few strong voices speaking over everyone. Not cool and not open minded.

My selection process was driven by practicallity and convenience. I am not a Cave diver, but rather Wreck and Deep. WIth a SM rig I can show up anywhere and readily find aluminum cyclinders without any advanced logistics issues for banded steel doubles. Before making any choice or opinion I took a sidemount course and had the opportunity to swim several different rigs. The final selection between the Nomad and SMS. I bought the Hollis SMS100 with the dual bladder. Absolutely no regrets...the full doughnut wing is nice with less issue of trapped air and the hardware is heavy gauge. It was a personal call and the SMS fit my build best.

The Razor is sexy. I was spearfishing a rig a couple of weeks ago feeling naked with only one tank and not happy with all of the extras of my recreational backplate setup. The streamline minimalist Razor came immediately to mind as a cobia wrapped my cable up my back. The only downside is the minimal bouyancy that the system currently offers. It was designed for caves. The only option in large open water would be to sandwich a small wing underneath the harness against your back. Love to hear anyone else's feedback/experience on the Razor.

The streamline minimalist Razor came immediately to mind as a cobia wrapped my cable up my back. The only downside is the minimal bouyancy that the system currently offers.

I'm very open to both gear and training - As such I plan to take the Advanced Open Water Side Mount course from Steve in the April/May timeframe next year. I specifically asked Steve about open water/cold and thick wet suits/dry suits and he confirmed his training will address all these aspects.

Having been wrapped up in kelp around my 1st stage several times, side mount is the way to go. Whatever harness I use, focus will be on ensuring gear and regulator placement is common on all my gear.

Dwayne

While the vast majority of my Razor dives have been in Mexico, I have used the system in Monterey for recreational dives - scooter dives and kick dives with steel tanks. It's a well thought out system and very liberating to dive.

The way I see it, the Razor harness is the foundation, and then you apply the BC device that's appropriate for the dive and environment. If I need more lift, I'd opt for a bigger wing.

I've been using a CamelBak, but I'm looking forward to diving the UTD trim device. The shape is really appealing to me. I know that Bogaert's has been working a multiple BC devices, and it'll be interesting that he offers too.

I'm very open to both gear and training - As such I plan to take the Advanced Open Water Side Mount course from Steve in the April/May timeframe next year. I specifically asked Steve about open water/cold and thick wet suits/dry suits and he confirmed his training will address all these aspects.

Having been wrapped up in kelp around my 1st stage several times, side mount is the way to go. Whatever harness I use, focus will be on ensuring gear and regulator placement is common on all my gear.

Dwayne

Nomad and SMS are interchangeable...if you can swim one then you can swim the other.

The first part of this statement isn't necessarily true. The Nomad and SMS 100 are very different rigs. While swimming them may not be much different in OW, there is still a significant difference.

Personally, I don't think any of the commercial systems are great out of the box...for my diving needs. While the SMS 100 may work for some divers and the Nomad for others, it's an individual thing. Even Dive Rite offers different models of the Nomad that work for some but not for others.

While the vast majority of my Razor dives have been in Mexico, I have used the system in Monterey for recreational dives - scooter dives and kick dives with steel tanks. It's a well thought out system and very liberating to dive.

The way I see it, the Razor harness is the foundation, and then you apply the BC device that's appropriate for the dive and environment. If I need more lift, I'd opt for a bigger wing.

I've been using a CamelBak, but I'm looking forward to diving the UTD trim device. The shape is really appealing to me. I know that Bogaert's has been working a multiple BC devices, and it'll be interesting that he offers too.

I had also heard that Bogeart was working on his own design for bouyancy as compared to the CamelBak. I wasn't sure what all this would entail. I have a slim 28lb doughnut wing from Hollis that might just do the trick.

Don - how are you securing your wing to the harness?

Thanks

I had also heard that Bogeart was working on his own design for bouyancy as compared to the CamelBak.

As Steve responded to me, he will have a commercial product early next year.

Dwayne

SMS100D in my hands! Also snagged a Hollis 16W Canister light which is charging now.

Reg (2nd Atomic M1) and hoses next week so it's all slowly coming together. Pictures next week!

Dwayne

It's all in the small details - regs, bolt snaps, hoses, pressure gauges etc...

Reg setup is basically complete pending necklace and installation of a bolt snap. I have not made up my mind yet on the 90 degree vs adding an Atomic Aquatics swivel.

Waiting on a new HP 100 tank to arrive at the dive store. Waiting on bolt snaps, necklace, canister mount Dive Rite and then I will be ready to dive.

Lastly, I was running around trying to find a helmet for my lights... Difficult to find water sports helmets in Winter so I had to purchase online. Went with Deep Sea Sherpa's recommendation...

http://www.deepseasherpa.com/blog/equipment/sidemount-helmet/

Dwayne

Attachments

• IMG_2015.jpeg
    IMG_2015.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom