SM Take 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually - I'm interested in everyone's setup including yours Jax. Thanks!

I remember the early days of ScubaBoard. I dove with a "spreader plate" which was a piece of aluminum that was a tad bit bigger than a BP drilled, bent and was designed to hold a double wing DOWN so I could dive a single tank with absolutely no taco. It was GREAT, but many told me I was modifying gear and was going to die. Really.

Sidemount REQUIRES you to tinker and modify. Its brought the fun and innovation back to ScubaDiving. :D

:spit:

I don't think *I* have a setup! :rofl3:

The rig was put together by CaveAdventurers' Edd Sorenson.

Learned to connect stuff via Kevin Carlisle's and Edd's pictures.

And it's being tweaked by Rob Neto, with whom I hope to train sooner rather than later!

How's that for multi-tasking? :blinking:

I remember the early days of ScubaBoard. I dove with a "spreader plate" which was a piece of aluminum that was a tad bit bigger than a BP drilled, bent and was designed to hold a double wing DOWN so I could dive a single tank with absolutely no taco. It was GREAT, but many told me I was modifying gear and was going to die. Really.

Sidemount REQUIRES you to tinker and modify. Its brought the fun and innovation back to ScubaDiving. :D

+1 . . . I'll be hell on wheels next year! :D

+1 . . . I'll be hell on wheels next year! :D
You're putting wheels on your side mount? That's certainly an innovation! :D

You're putting wheels on your side mount? That's certainly an innovation! :D

Just wait until I mount the electric motor!!!! :rofl3: :kiss2:

Hey, Dwayne, new video in our Sidemount thread. :)

Frivolity aside . . . I went for tried and true because nothing I see (vidos) in the Razor, Hollis, or OMS suit my style. None of the people in the video are little and wearing numerous layers of neoprene. I do see people in drysuits wearing the Nomad.
I still haven't ventured into SM yet, but I'm pretty sure it's the Razor for me. That basic simplicity is the cat's meow for me.
I'm sure there is going to be many tweaks, but that is part of the fun for me. I've seriously considered making my own, but what the heck, Christmas is just round the corner. :D

I still haven't ventured into SM yet, but I'm pretty sure it's the Razor for me. That basic simplicity is the cat's meow for me.
I'm sure there is going to be many tweaks, but that is part of the fun for me. I've seriously considered making my own, but what the heck, Christmas is just round the corner. :D

Oh, cool; you'll join our "Venture into Sidemount" thread, won't you? I'd love to see the pictures!

NetDoc:
I have a problem with reaching ANYTHING on the front of any system I have been in. That's the one benefit of Back Mount that I have found: my waist and chest areas are far more accessible.

Sounds like your cylinder valves are hanging too low. Cinch them up and you should have no issues reaching stuff on your chest. Then push the cylinders up to reach pocket contents and waist stuff.

Any chance of some photos showing all the mods and equipment placements on your Nomad?

Thanks,
Dwayne

I've posted several photos here in the sidemount forum. However, I've made more modifications since then and don't have any current photos. Finishing up a trimix class tomorrow, then off to DEMA, so it will be next week before I can get current photos.

Back
Top Bottom