Prolady vs. Ariel vs. Islander

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hchen

Reaction score
Hi there! Need some advice in picking out a BCD that works best for me.
I dive tropical waters and I'm looking for a BC that's relatively light since I have to lug them whenever I travel to dive. Also I'm 5 ft 4" and 112 lbs. So I have difficulty finding a rental BCD that fits me well...!

Am thinking of either going with the Seac Sub Prolady, Oceanic Islander or Mares Ariel. I've tried all 3 BCs (on land) and they all fit a-okay and I like the look of all of them. Decisions decisions!

Never tried a back-inflate and I hear it throws you on your face at the surface, especially at the end of the dive when the tank is really buoyant. Am trying to persuade a friend to loan me her Transpac II for trial just to see if I like the feel of it. Don't think I'll go for the BP/wings setup as yet.

I'd like to hear your opinions/feedback/views on the above BCs that i'm considering. Need my own BC urgently so please help! Many thanks!

go for the Mares Ariel if budget is a considerable factor.. However i would suggest u try loaning ur friend's Transpac back inflate and see if u like it.. if you do, go for the oceanic islander (back inflate), if u dont, get the Ariel.. not sure abt the Seac Sub ProLady but i heard many female divers say it fits very comfortably

hchen:
Never tried a back-inflate and I hear it throws you on your face at the surface, especially at the end of the dive when the tank is really buoyant.

Not true (see attached pic).

hchen:
I'd like to hear your opinions/feedback/views on the above BCs that i'm considering. Need my own BC urgently so please help! Many thanks!

My gf has been using an Ariel since getting certified. 127 dives later, she is still happy with it. The MRS weight integrate system is very nice and small—perfect for tropical diving.

Vie: Thanks for the photos! Think for jacket BCs, I've narrowed it down to the Mares Ariel. It's cheaper and there's easy access to servicing. Still contemplating on whether I should go with a back-inflate...

hchen:
Vie: Thanks for the photos! Think for jacket BCs, I've narrowed it down to the Mares Ariel. It's cheaper and there's easy access to servicing. Still contemplating on whether I should go with a back-inflate...

The Ariel is a hybrid—it’s basically a back inflate with wraparound bladder at the side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom