Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancrest67

Reaction score
I currently use a Dive Rite Transpac bc...and I am about to embark on a back plate / wing set up for doubles.

I keep reading an emphasis on SS BP's used for cold water diving and AL BP's used for warmer water diving...is it really the emphasis on temperature or the individual's weighting priority and comfort given that all diving conditions are relative? For example, I am sure an individual may simply swear by a SS BP because that individual diver loves the weighting otion provided by SS in all environments. Is there really a difference or some methodology using SS or AL?

Thank you for the advice.

It's all weighting.

I would be way too heavy with an SS bp and Al tank if I were diving in, say, a shorty.

Actually, it's not all weighting ... although you want to avoid overweighting, and this may be the overriding consideration when deciding which plate is appropriate.

Some of the decision to go with AL vs SS is due to trim issues, which are often an aspect of the cylinders you've chosen to double up.

For example, my E8119's are quite top-heavy. Even with the bands set to extend the cylinders as far down my back as possible, I still had to (regretfully) retire the nice 9-lb FredT plate I had started with and move to a 5-lb plate instead. Moving to a lighter plate lets you put that weight on a belt, to lower your center of gravity for better trim.

I know a couple of tech divers using the old LP104's who've swapped out their SS plates for AL plates, and replaced the weight difference with a channel weight that attaches to the lower mounting bolt for the same reason ... to improve trim and better balance out the rig.

FWIW - we dive cold water and drysuits.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, it's not all weighting ... although you want to avoid overweighting, and this may be the overriding consideration when deciding which plate is appropriate.

Some of the decision to go with AL vs SS is due to trim issues, which are often an aspect of the cylinders you've chosen to double up.

For example, my E8119's are quite top-heavy. Even with the bands set to extend the cylinders as far down my back as possible, I still had to (regretfully) retire the nice 9-lb FredT plate I had started with and move to a 5-lb plate instead. Moving to a lighter plate lets you put that weight on a belt, to lower your center of gravity for better trim.

I know a couple of tech divers using the old LP104's who've swapped out their SS plates for AL plates, and replaced the weight difference with a channel weight that attaches to the lower mounting bolt for the same reason ... to improve trim and better balance out the rig.

FWIW - we dive cold water and drysuits.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Is there such a thing as a lighter weight SS BP? I am sure there is given my other posting referencing custom made BPs. I am 6'4' tall.

Is it my understanding then that if one dives doubles, whether dry suit or wet, whether cold fresh water or warm salt water...it comes down to the same trim / weighting / comfort configuration for the individual diver...playing with a SS BP vs AL BP and weight belt options...using either plate provides the "option" in configuration for the partifular dive and its environment...so in some sense, one could still dive with the heavy / durable SS BP in fresh / salt or cold / warm...and be negatively bouyant...in sum, I take it doubles will be negative anyway...then the only other consideration is trim and balance...correct?

Just thinking over options...thank you for your advice.

How is moving weight around not a weighting issue? :wink:

With my E-8 130's I use and aluminum BP. At first I tried them with my 9lb Fred T plate and was so head down I couldn't do the dive.

with my E-7 100's I use a SS 5lb plate It trims me out nicely.

when diving one of my single 104's I use a 9lb plate with a 5lb STA

These are all with a drysuit, and polartec insulation. If I change the insulation I may be able to change the weighting.

hope this helps.

pants!:
How is moving weight around not a weighting issue? :wink:

adding/removing weight = weighting issue

moving same amount of weight around to change CoG = trim issue

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FredT has 4 different BP thicknesses to choose from. They all weigh different amounts.

oceancrest67:
Is there such a thing as a lighter weight SS BP? I am sure there is given my other posting referencing custom made BPs. I am 6'4' tall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom