Weight Belt With Integrated Weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fouremco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Having recently acquired my OW certification, I'm now in the process of acquiring my own equipment. I want to buy a BCD with integrated weights, but I'm wondering about whether I should also be wearing part of the weight on a belt belt, enough to have neutral buoyancy with my BCD off. This was recommended by one of my instructors, but not followed by some of the others. What's the common approach out there? There seems to be a certain logic from a safety perspective, but...

Fouremco:
Having recently acquired my OW certification, I'm now in the process of acquiring my own equipment. I want to buy a BCD with integrated weights, but I'm wondering about whether I should also be wearing part of the weight on a belt belt, enough to have neutral buoyancy with my BCD off. This was recommended by one of my instructors, but not followed by some of the others. What's the common approach out there? There seems to be a certain logic from a safety perspective, but...

Are asking whether you need to be neutral on the bottom with your BCD off?? Do you plan to remove it?? Im a little confused. If you ever HAVE to take it off dont let go!

It also depends on what type of exposure suit you are wearing and where you will be diving. I have a weight integrated bc but when divng dry I take some of the weight, 4 lbs or so, and put it in a weight belt. This way if I have to ditch some, the belt goes which is enough to lift me quickly since I don't overweight myself. By ditching this I can still somewhat control my ascent with what I have in the bc. I will also wear a belt when working with students to demonstrate on and off of weights. Otherwise I see no need for a belt with an IW bc.

Fouremco:

I would just leave the weights in the BC's integrated weight pockets. As others said, I am not sure I will actually plan to take off the BCD underwater (except during class sessions for demonstration).

I've seen some lobster hunters take off a BCD under water in order to be able to reach further into a ledge/hole.

Ummm, so do you plan to be way overweighted?

I have a weight integrated BC and have found that splitting up some of the weight is not such a bad idea. Not only that, but a weight belt can also be used to carry extra gear--a light or tool-- and they are useful to clip off that goody bag and fins as you enter the water. A weight belt also comes in handy if you plan to do any snorkeling with wet suit, you'll want a few pounds to get down.

The great thing is that they are not expensive.

riguerin:
I've seen some lobster hunters take off a BCD under water in order to be able to reach further into a ledge/hole.

"Advanced" diving would be a generous way to term that. Foolhardy would be more accurate IMHO. You wouldn't catch me risking my life for any bug.

Hopefully the OP isn't planning to take off his life support equipment to wedge himself in a hole to get a lobster, either.

Assuming you're doing more conventional diving where you tend to keep the BC on, I'd say get your BC and a weight belt and figure out the way you like it. It's not as though a weight belt costs that much, and owning one can be handy even if you don't use it for scuba diving. Believe me, you won't plan all your gear right before buying it. You just won't :wink:

Personally, I have found a weight belt gets in the way when wearing a IW BCD. They just don't seem desinged to accomodate a weight belt in general. I bet you'll end up with all weight in the BC.

Stick with the integrated weight system BCD, as is. The weights are easier to handle (and much less painful if dropped on your foot). Besides, the D-rings on the BCD should be sufficient for carrying any gear. However, a weight belt would be of some use when freediving in cold water with a wet suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom