air integrated vs non air integrated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

belligerentbear

Registered
Reaction score
Are air integrated computers better than non? What are the benefits of an air integrated computer? Both of my computers are not air integrated and I was wondering if I was missing something? Thanks.

An air-integrated computer calculates the rate at which you consume the air in your tank, adjusting for depth (in atmospheric pressure absolute or ATA).

It provides you with a datapoint indicating how many more minutes (at your current consumption rate) you could continue to dive. (Clearly the time increases as depth decreases, but you get the idea.)

AI computers offer a post-dive calculation of your SAC or surface air consumption rate, which can function as a type of "personal rating" that you should see decrease (improve) over time. As you become more relaxed and confident underwater your respiration rate should slow down...

Aside from that, if you're using your computer to tell you how many more minutes you can remain submerged then IMHO your approach to dive planning and gas management is seriously horked up.

Hope that helps,

Doc

Allow to me explain where Doc is coming from with his comment about gas planning.

The more advanced diver will be able to calculate their gas consumption based on their SAC rate as well as their intended dive profile. This is done during your pre dive plan with your buddy. Before both of you hit the water you will know what your gas consumption will be for that given dive. If conditions change during your dive then you and your buddy will have a backup plan.

The way I choose to dive is in a fashion similar to this. While I have an AI computer I choose not to use it. For my dives I know what my and my buddies gas useage will be within 100 psi.

Doc explained it very well. I would add that having an AI computer gives me one less thing to look at or worry about. A wrist mount requires me to still have an SPG and compass somewhere else. I have to look at 2 or 3 different displays to get my information. With my AI I have a quick disconnect and a compass. I can see all the information about my air and depth, and use my compass at the same time. With the QD I can take my computer off my regs for downloading, safe storage, etc. For me, I can't see myself having anything but an AI computer.

Most certainly ... you are missing the right to stand with other divers, proudly display your dive computer and earn the esteem and admiration of all who see you.

Seriously, my first console computer was (is) AI, and I expected to use that feature a lot. After about 20 dives the limiting factor of my dives, however, wasn't air consumption but rather the NDL; I don't really use the AI feature. One downside is that, if your AI computer goes on the fritz during a dive, you're "hooped." Instead of simply getting a pressure gauge as a backup, I instead got a wrist-mounted AI backup dive computer so that I could stand with the other divers, proudly display .... you get the idea.

I have an AI computer console (I still do not trust the wireless ones). The main benefit I receive from AI part of the computer is the 2 fold. 1) The calculation of my sac rate after every dive, and after every dive I can evaluate what factors led to an increase/decrease in Sac rate. 2) When training, I can evluate in real time what motions, activities, and stress effect my sac rate, and then try to adress them in the water while doing a training dive so I will be more efficient on a regular dive.

The AI computer should not replace gas plannning before a dive, nor should the "air time left" read out (if greater than the air time you planned) replace your plan. While many people I dive with find an AI computer a waste of money, I really believe it helps me be a better diver when used properly, and for me that use is as a training tool, not something to replace planning.

Realistically, and as indicated above, the NDL is often more limiting than the gas supply, at least below about 60-80 ft. Since many if not most AI computers will display the lesser of the two times remaining, if you are are diving reasonably deep, you won't get the benefit of the AI "air time remaining" features as it will be more than the "NDL time remaining" that is displayed instead. In my opinion, that is not all bad as deeper diving in my opinion requires careful preplanning of the dive including thorough gas planning.

Also, in my experience AI computers are more prone to failure as the SPG is incorporated in the computer. I see a lot of 10 year old Pelagic "hockey pucks" like US Diver/Aqualung's Matrix Master or Oceanic's Data 100 still around but I don't see many AI computers lasting nearly that long long.

I dive an UWATEC SmartCom that I got from my LDS and love it. It displays both air time remaining based on my consumption, along with NDL time left. So I can compare them at depth and see which is the limiting factor. It has also made me a better diver in terms of air consumption, as it beeps at me when I use too much air. My SAC has gone down since using it.

That said, I don't usually use the "air time left" to plan/execute our dives. I watch the remaining pressure on my tank, so we turn around based on pressure, not based on air time left. That way, I always know I have enough air. If there were to be a failure, I'd just turn around immediately and make a normal ascent. I would know that there would be enough air, because I was following my pressure the whole dive. It hasn't happened yet...

I think the idea from many previous posters is very valid: It offers great information. But don't let it replace proper dive planning and execution of said dive plan.

My $0.02

Can I with a computer without air integrated calculate my air consumption L/min for example if I give the data of the initial tank pressure and endind pressure, the software can calculate based on the dephs i've been the air consumption????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom