Vytec versus VT Pro and Atmos Elite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems the Vytec is the most popular computer with 'advanced' divers. Considering I'm doing 90% rec diving with an occasionally deep dive requiring a deco stop (in all cases I rely on dive tables and not solely on the computer). Which computer would work best for me?

I'm planning on using the hoseless air pressuge gauge simply for convenience of having readings in one location, but with the addition of a standard SPG for backup.

From what I've gathered the Oceanic and Aeris units will calculate maximum total remaining dive time by factoring in your air consumption, air pressure, and nitrogen loading and any mandatory emergency deco stops - whereas the Vytec maintains a separate calculation for air time remaining, and a seperate calculation for deco information. It's all rather confusing when you haven't used either of these units.

So say I accidentally go into deco but have quite a bit of air in my tank. I believe standard practice is to ascend immediately and do the required deco stop. But what if I want to just ascend part way, do some more diving, then do my deco stop. Which computer is going to be the easiest to use in that situation? Once your in Deco does the Vytec adjust the air time remaining figure to account for the mandatory deco stop or do you have to manually estimate how much air you need to do the mandatory deco stop?

If my choice was between a new VT PRO or Atmos Elite and a used Suunto Vytec, which is the best choice for me? I know the units ocassionally lose the pressure transmission, is the Suunto Unit any more reliable in that area?

Hi JC,

I'm not familiar with the Aeris unit, but dive a Vytec regularly and used to dive an Oceanic. As far as the pressure transmitter, I have never actually had mine fail underwater in several years of use. The only time I've seen it misbehave was when the transmitter was in the boat, right next to an outboard motor that was running at high-speed (too much RF interferance gave it a false reading).

Beside the obvious warning that you should never really go into deco, "by accident", I do believe the Vytec calculates your remaining air time based on your depth and the ascent time (which will include a safety stop, and any deco stops).

I often see my deco obligation clear during a very slow ascent from depth. For example, diving to 100' for 30-35 minutes (nitrox) will often give me 10 or more minutes of deco. As I slowly ascend (maybe 10' per minute), the deco ceiling will often clear in the 30' - 40' range. This is especially evident when switching gases. Although I would recommend doing the 10 minute hang anyway. Better safe than sorry.

I know the major advantage of the Vytec is that it will do more than one gas mix. However, once again, if you are diving multiple-gases, shouldn't one be relying on tables and a bottom timer and not their computer? I guess the Vytec is nice for 'backup' information but other than the multi-gas does the Vytec have any other significant benefits over the VT Pro or Atmos Elite?

I saw on one thread discussing reliability of the pressure transmission no one mentioned having problems with the Vytec but a few said on ocassion they lose the signal from their VT Pro transmitter for a few seconds. I thought these transmitters and receivers all use the same type of transmission method so it seems odd one would prove more reliable over the other. In any case it seems the consensus that losing the signal for a few seconds isn't a big deal.

I've seen one complaint about if you don't get in the water soon after pairing the Vytec with the transmitter it times out and if you have pair it again? Is this the case on the VT Pro or Atmos computers?

I have the Atmos Elite, but I have only done 2 dives with it. I am very happy with it, but the main reason I bought it is because I could dive Nitrox with it and ease of use. Scuba Toys has great prices on them, that is where I bought mine.

Boomo

JC,

I have not used the new Elite I just purchased, but FYI-you can get the computer and transmitter with case at Scuba Network in New York City for $599 complete and they are an authorized dealer! It's around $669 everywhere else I've seen.

Hope this saves you $$ if you go this route.

jc2:
...but other than the multi-gas does the Vytec have any other significant benefits over the VT Pro or Atmos Elite?
No. It is more expensive though. The multi-gas is a feature I bet MOST divers with the vytec don't even use.

jc2:
I thought these transmitters and receivers all use the same type of transmission method so it seems odd one would prove more reliable over the other. In any case it seems the consensus that losing the signal for a few seconds isn't a big deal.
Yes they do use pretty much the same technology. I have used both and currently dive the elite. Both lost transmission, but very rarely if at all. The transmission simply doesn't work through your body. It isn't that big of a deal. It links back up as soon as you raise your hand to look at it and usually even before you get it to your face.

jc2:
I've seen one complaint about if you don't get in the water soon after pairing the Vytec with the transmitter it times out and if you have pair it again? Is this the case on the VT Pro or Atmos computers?
Basically (refering to the Elite only) if the computer is on your wrist and you move away from your tank it will time out but as soon as you get close to it again it links back up both in and out of the water. This isn't a concern. Put it on, check your pressure wirelessly, forget about it and go diving. It will link up while under or above the surface.

Now, I will add that I don't regret my purchase and love the elite but all it really does is satisfy my tech/gadget craving. If I had to do it again, I would just buy the much cheaper Atmos 2 and pressure gauge and go diving 5 times from a boat with the money I would have saved. Wireless is cool technology. That's it. It stops at cool for now in the scuba world. Just my honest opinion.

jc2:
So say I accidentally go into deco but have quite a bit of air in my tank. I believe standard practice is to ascend immediately and do the required deco stop. But what if I want to just ascend part way, do some more diving, then do my deco stop. Which computer is going to be the easiest to use in that situation? Once your in Deco does the Vytec adjust the air time remaining figure to account for the mandatory deco stop or do you have to manually estimate how much air you need to do the mandatory deco stop?
I highly suggest you forget you ever considered diving like that. If you are, please join Dan. Seriously. Are you suggesting that after accidentally going into Deco you would choose to continue to dive and disregard your computer's advice?

The vytec is a bit more conservative than the other two models. If you want more bottom time, then go with the Elite or VT Pro but I also suggest you not make your computer decision based on that fact. The easy solution is to NOT GO INTO DECO. A computer will not stop you from doing that. Your brain will.

Have fun and happy diving all!

Although i am not familar with the vytec, I Use both and Atomos ai and an Oceanic atom 1.0 and have been using the Atomos ai for about 4 years and the atom for the last year. Both of these unit will re adjust your NDL or your deco time as you ascend with keeping air consumption in mind. You can check out the atom I am diving at www.A1ScubaGear.com, it is on the featured items list and is on sale. I like the capabilities of this unit, you can switch to up to 3 diffrent Nitrox Mixes, great also if you are hedging twoards more deco diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom