Shark etiquette

What would you do if a shark was aggressively racing toward you?

• Bump it on the nose with your foot or camera.

Votes: 66 32.2%
  • Stay still, meditate and lower your heart rate.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • Descend, back up to a coral and pretend like you're part of the scenery.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • Hit it in the eyes or the gills.

Votes: 37 18.0%
  • Swim towards the shark to show it you're the boss.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • Head for the boat as fast as your little legs can propel you.

Votes: 15 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here is a question and poll for those of you who encounter sharks regularly.

Are you afraid of them?? Many tell me that sharks just ignore SCUBA divers, but Shark Week on the Discovery channel went over several instances where SCUBA divers were actually attacked by divers.

Anyway -- answer the polls.

ET

You forgot "go about your business but be aware there's a shark(s) around.

Tom

EDIT- no fair changing the poll question after answers have been posted. Makes me look like an idiot in this case, huh?

For the NEW question, if it's coming you have to fight, at least try. Kick it, whack it with something, shove a deco bottle in it's face, etc.

For those wearing rec rigs that can quickly be removed, hold your unit in front of you as a shield. Sharks hate the taste of tanks :)

Tom

It's humorous but I hope new divers don't take it too seriously. Neither shark behavior nor the choices of action when a shark is sighted are accurate and don't apply in real world. Peeing in the suit might help.

DivingDoc once bubbled...
....but Shark Week on the Discovery channel went over several instances where SCUBA divers were actually attacked by divers.

Anyway -- answer the polls.

ET

That probably happens more than shark attacks do! :D

Seriously, keep in mind The Discovery Channel needs an audience and one way they try to do get one is with sensationalized shows. If truth were known, the divers that got 'attacked' had probably ignored the sharks warning signals, antagonized the sharks in some way, or even placed themselves in harms way by seaching out the sharks and entising them.... a feeding frenzy comes to mind. Sharks don't usually just attack a diver for no reason. We aren't food to them.

If you are going to dive in an area frequented by sharks, learn their behaviors, feeding times and patterns, etc. and remember you are in their territory.

I'm by no means a shark expert....I've only seen sharks on two dives (not counting nurse sharks).....but doesn't swimming back to the boat as fast as possible make you look more like prey to the shark?

Don't know what I'd do....I'm guessing wing it....but I know I can't outswim a shark....so fleeing and looking like dinner would probably be my last answer.

I have seen thousands of sharks all over the world including schooling hammerheads. I have never had any trouble but if I did have trouble, I would just take out my knife and cut my buddy!

I dont have to outswim the shark, I only have to outswim my buddy. ( I know that is an old joke!)

I told that to my wife's mother when she heard we were going to cocos island. She didnt laugh.

Anyway, I have never seen a great white which is about the only shark I am afraid of.

I have heard that a scream may frighten them away. It would be very very odd for a shark to attack a 6' neoprene and metal object. They mostly go for the sick or old.

Drop the twinkie (or distressed fish) and get out of the way. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom