attaching hoses, can I do this or LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BelikinBob

Registered
Reaction score
I just got my reg 1st and 2nd stage, I also got an octo, and my BC hose.

Do I attach these myself, or is this only for the LDS to do, I did not buy these items from the LDS and I think they would charge me for this service...

thanks!
Bob

You can do it yourself.
You normally need an Allen key to remove the plugs.
On all my regs the system is foolproof as HP and IP outlets have different thread sizes so you can't screw a hose into the wrong hole.
Make sure the oring is clean and in good condition.
I use a very light smear of silicone grease to help the oring seat well without damage.
Don't overtighten. Screw in with your fingers and then just a final nip with a correct sized spanner/wrench.
1st time in the water do a bubble/leak check.

While your LDS might like you to think it's something that they can only do--you can definitely attach our own hoses. :) Just make sure you do a bubble check after you get in the water; personally I do one every time and not just the first time.

Fight that urge to overtighten.

Do it yourself as already mentioned. But I do not see why your LDS should charge you for this kind of service anyway. A good LDS should help you out with this stuff, whether the gear is from them or elsewhere. In an ideal LDS scenario, you should be able to ask the shop this question, but often you get some bad look and feel guilty for walking in with stuff from another shop.
Happy diving!
Alex

well i got it, thanks everyone, that was nerve racking! but i took it in the pool and found some bubbles comming from one HP ports, I fixed it and all was good.

However I do not have silicone grease so I ill probibaly have to get some and apply it.

thanks again!
Bob

Find someting called Christolube, and ue that instead. as the commercial used to say, "just a little dab'll do ya!". Just get the o-ring shiny wipe off the excess and assemble.

Christolube is expensive though.

Do it yourself, an allen wrench and crescent wrench will do it for you

I just got my reg 1st and 2nd stage, I also got an octo, and my BC hose.

Do I attach these myself, or is this only for the LDS to do, I did not buy these items from the LDS and I think they would charge me for this service...

thanks!
Bob[/QUOTE]

AlexMDiver:
Do it yourself as already mentioned. But I do not see why your LDS should charge you for this kind of service anyway. A good LDS should help you out with this stuff, whether the gear is from them or elsewhere. In an ideal LDS scenario, you should be able to ask the shop this question, but often you get some bad look and feel guilty for walking in with stuff from another shop.
Happy diving!
Alex
why should the lds not charge you??its their time and liability..they will check the intermediate pressure at the time it is assembled..price should be $15. to $20
you don't buy brakes for your car and expect the mechanic install them for nothing do you??.

PerroneFord:
Find someting called Christolube, and ue that instead. as the commercial used to say, "just a little dab'll do ya!". Just get the o-ring shiny wipe off the excess and assemble.

Christolube is expensive though.

For a new diver who is not going to be doing any reg maintenance for some time, splashing out on Christolube seems to be a bit of an overkill and unless ordered on-line is hard to come by at the majority of LDSs.
A small pot/tube of generic silicone grease will serve just as well in the beginning and he won't be counting the dollars when using it for other generic uses like zipper lubrification or divelight seals.

Back
Top Bottom