What's the coldest water you would dive in a 5 mm suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic

Vampire Girl......er Dork
Reaction score
I just purchased a 5 mm wetsuit (Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch), and I'm wondering... what is the coldest water that you've comfortably dove in a 5 mm wetsuit?

Now, I'm fully aware that each person is different, but I'm guessing, I could dive in 60 degree water and be fairly warm. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences! :D :blinking: :)

I've dove a 3/2mm in 60 degree water on a walm day, for two dives and was comfertable. I've just switched to a 7/5mm semi-dry and I'm still getting used to it.

I could dive a 5mm in 60 degree water all day (5-6 dives) as long as my muscles could take it :)

I was doing some free diving at Morrison Springs this last weekend for over and hour and wasn't even wearing a wetsuit, the water was 67 degrees.

52 degree, first dive with Scubapro one piece, but it was cold....for second dive I put 3 mm shorty over, and this was OK, I was reasonable warm (30m, 45 min).

I wonder why anyone would have a 5 mm suit. I dive with a swim suit in warm water. When it gets chilly, I wear a 3/2. When it's too cold for the 3/2, I switch to the 7.

70 F...with a hood

assuming my dive was around 45 minutes

I've done 2 hours at 57 degrees in a 3 mil. Once.

I found these recommended exposure suite thicknesses on a local quarries web site:
do these sound reasonable?

75-85F (24-29C) 1/16" (1.6mm) Neoprene, Lycra, Polartec
70-85F (21-29C) 1/8" (3mm) Neoprene
65-75F (18-24C) 3/16" (5mm) Neoprene
50-75F (10-24C) ¼" (6.5mm) Neoprene
35-65F (2-18C) 3/8" (9.5mm) Neoprene, drysuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom