New equipment and Internet purchase questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ropee

Reaction score
After a 25yr hiatus in diving I have returned. I took a refresher class so I could dive on my 20th anniversary in Antigua. I saw a sea turtle! Old hat to some of you, but the highlite of my trip. Good to be back, but I got 'the bug'. Now on to the question.

I have selected equipment I want. Pro QD, veo100nx, Titan LX reg and ABS octo.

I will name LeisurePro.com as this is what came up at my dive shop. LP beats the price of my dive shop by about $200. I ask my dive shop if they will match/beat prices I find, and without mentioning LP, they said that they will if it is from a reputable place, not a shady internet or some questionable company. They mentioned LP as a shady one(they also said a bunch of others but I have really looked at LP, they weren't picking or bashing LP)

When I asked what made LP and the others questionable they said that LP and others buy older equip, closeouts, going out of business stuff, and questionable items. What they said specifically is that some of the manufactures won't honor warrantys if bought through LP and if something was to break, I would be out as the item was not bought from an authorized dealer.

So, is this correct info, and is the $200 ($150 or so after shipping) savings really worth it in the long run. I would like to save money but don't want to get screwed at the other end. I have no problems with Internet orders, but don't mind going through my local dive shop either.

Or, buy used?

Any comments or insights appreciated,

Regards,

Rick
ropee@hotmail.com

I bought gear from LeisurePro and all the ice cream in my freezer went melty, the dog ran away, my lawn died, and I went bald. I learned my lesson but good!

:11:

ask yoiur LDS if they consider scubatoys a reputable dive shop and quote their prices to them

oh, and if you contact scubatoys, you get and extra 10% discount for just being a member of SB so how cool is that

personally if my LDS was trying to scare me off so much i would be looking elsehwere on the principle of it - they trying to treat their customers as the village idiot and that should not be acceptable

edit: and if you do have a problem with LP purchases - i believe they will cover any warranty issues themselves so although not a manufacturers warranty you will be covered

cheers and welcome to :sblogo:

After a 25yr hiatus in diving I have returned. I took a refresher class so I could dive on my 20th anniversary in Antigua. I saw a sea turtle! Old hat to some of you, but the highlite of my trip. Good to be back, but I got 'the bug'. Now on to the question.

I have selected equipment I want. Pro QD, veo100nx, Titan LX reg and ABS octo.

I will name LeisurePro.com as this is what came up at my dive shop. LP beats the price of my dive shop by about $200. I ask my dive shop if they will match/beat prices I find, and without mentioning LP, they said that they will if it is from a reputable place, not a shady internet or some questionable company. They mentioned LP as a shady one(they also said a bunch of others but I have really looked at LP, they weren't picking or bashing LP)

When I asked what made LP and the others questionable they said that LP and others buy older equip, closeouts, going out of business stuff, and questionable items. What they said specifically is that some of the manufactures won't honor warrantys if bought through LP and if something was to break, I would be out as the item was not bought from an authorized dealer.

So, is this correct info, and is the $200 ($150 or so after shipping) savings really worth it in the long run. I would like to save money but don't want to get screwed at the other end. I have no problems with Internet orders, but don't mind going through my local dive shop either.

Or, buy used?

Any comments or insights appreciated,

Regards,

Rick
ropee@hotmail.com

I have not bought any life support equipment from LeisurePro but I have bought pther Scuba equipment from them over the last 3 years.

Evrything I purchased was brand and in the unopened original packaging.

I have have also returned a few items for no other reason than a family member changed their mind. I called they sent me an RMA via email and issued a credit to my credit card immediately upon receipt of the returned merchandise.

I have no complaints with LeisurePro for the equipment I have purchased from them.

Having said that youmight want to show your LDS the price and see if you can come to some amicable price.

Also, ask if you pruchase the regulator from them and it is in for service will they let you use one of theirs if the service is not finished in time for your next scheduled dive.

When I bought my life support equipment from the LDS theses are the types of service they provided that made it worth paying them a higher price than buying it on the Internet.

just type in leisure pro and read the gazillion threads. nothing wrong with them. btw, $200 is a pretty minor difference when comparing prices for a whole setup. surprising that they do not beat them by more.

I prefer to support local businesses. The internet & Wal-Mart are killing the little guys. $200 less shipping isn't worth it in my book. Plus the added bonus of the local service.

if the difference is only $200 for the whole shebang I would buy from the LDS. Stay on your LDS's good side.

What they said specifically is that some of the manufactures won't honor warrantys if bought through LP
This part is true.
and if something was to break, I would be out as the item was not bought from an authorized dealer.
This part is not. LeisurePro has their own warranty for the same period as the manufacturers. And their own repair department.

Personally for >$200, I'd consider supporting your local LDS. Service will be much easier locally than shipping your gear to LP annually. Consider it an investment in being able to get airfills and small parts locally.

LeisurePro is not a shady dealer though. I buy softgoods from them regularly and always receive excellent service.

Call to Scubatoys also since they are an Oceanic dealer. Scubatoys unlike LP does offer full Manufacturers warranties on everything they sell. So your local LDS can access warranty info for your gear. And they can often match LP's price. (but not plus the 10% Scubaboard discount) Divers Direct in Florida is another similar option.

I just got a Titan LX from LeisurePro. Looks good to me and the price was good too. I have also purcahsed items from scubatoys and would have the Titan save for they do not sell AL. ScubaToys is first rate and I have had no problems with numerous purchases of gear from LeisurePro (that scubatoys did not carry). N

I agree here! 200$ is not a lot for a whole setup! I bought my gear from LP despite the moral dilema (support LDS), but the difference was 100%! Yes, half price!!!!! I had no choice...:shakehead:

This said, on my last order, I had a few things needed returning/ warranty and they gave me a hard time about it! They wouldn't take back some stuff, and a retractor I bought which busted after 10 dives, they wouldn't warranty. I had to send it in to manufacturer... They gave me crappy service... And now they've lost my business! I have a small order coming up soon and I'm going to be calling scubatoys and giving them a shot (they have a great rep).

If I had only had a 200$ difference, I would have bought the gear at my LDS.

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

just type in leisure pro and read the gazillion threads. nothing wrong with them. btw, $200 is a pretty minor difference when comparing prices for a whole setup. surprising that they do not beat them by more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom