Short visit...Puerto Galera or Balicasag Is.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limirl

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have only 4 to 5 days visiting philippines next month. I am a recreational diver interested in healthy corals and vibrant reef life. Interest in Macro stuff is very limited. I am not too put off with the extra flight to Tagbilaran and the transfer to Alona beach area compared to the bus and ferry to PG, seems like only an extra couple of hours to me.
Can you anyone give a comparison between the two and is one much better diving than the other for rec. diving ? I understand alona beach/balicasag is a heck of a lot quieter than PG also.

Any rec's. appreciated.

Limirl

Short Visit = PG

Anilao is a good choice as well, not as far as PG and quiet.

If you do decide to go to Tagbilaran, Cabilao Island is the same distance from the airport. Check out Polaris Dive Resort. Many of the day boats from Alona come over to dive there.

Both the places you ask about have plenty to offer, makes for a very tough call. I guess I would lean towards Alona Beach just based on your post, especially if you really are looking for a quiet scene. Not that PG is really loud or anything but Alona Beach is most certainly quiet. Good diving both places, but perhaps the diving in general including the walls of Balicasag are what you are looking for. Staying on Cabilao is a option to look into, but for a first trip you might prefer a day trip to Cabilao from Alona if it can be arranged, which also allows you to see the many sites around Panglao Island and Balicasag. I am not sure that the Cabilao dive ops go to Panglao or Balicasag much?

I'd have to back up Kupu, seems to me you'd enjoy Balicasag more. Most ops are based out of Alona. As Kupu said, Alona is more quiet than PG, and definitely not as busy (Alona is also more spacious). If you definitely want less busy, you can stay at a place such as Bohol Beach Club, but I think there are places along Alona that will suit you just fine.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Anilao is a good choice as well, not as far as PG and quiet....

I would agree with this statement also, having just come back from a two week trip where I dived Anilao and PG. I really liked Anilao. Excellent diving and "quiet" :) But thats a personal preference. Everyone is different :wink:

Depends on what you like. PG is a different vibe. If you want some nightlife, then I would say go to PG. The diving is excellent in PG also. And there are things to do other than dive :D

One other thing to consider is that during this time of year you'll need to take weather into account. I've heard that ferry service between PG and Batangas can be shut down if the weather takes a turn for the worst there.

It's the off-season so things should be pretty open. Easy just to show up and find something. The weather may be a last minute determining factor as to which place you choose.

I agree Puerto Galera or Anilao.
Both are a 2 hour bus ride south of Manila, Puerto Galera is also an additional short boat ride to Sabang Beach.
Balicasag would require a flight to Cebu then a boat to Tagbilaren then a 20 min ride to Alona Beach.
Puerto Galera or Anilao will give you 1 more day of diving.

This time of the year and next month? Balicasag could be better than PG. Fly straight to Tagbilaran, instead of flying to Cebu and taking the ferry ride.

I suggest Balicasag. Better visibility,less divers, more peaceful and more large pelagics and good macro subject. You can also visit Chocolait Hills on your last day before flying back home.

I have decided to visit Puerto Galera and I may have some additional time to explore elsewhere but will keep my options open when I get there. A couple of travel questions I'm hoping someone can help out with. My flight arrives into manila at 5.25am and some reports mention the SIKAT bus operates from the City State Tower Hotel in Mabini St., Ermita, Manila at 8am and others say 9am, am I better off trying to find an earlier bus from one of the other locations instead of waiting around for this one ?

My other question relates to returning back to Manila, I would like to be able to leave in the early afternoon, will the ferries be running then or are they all morning departures ?

Any dive sites that cannot be missed in particular ?

Regards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom