Are all light sticks created equal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catgirldiver

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to go on my first night dive soon and I read that light sticks are a neccesity. I see them at dive shops and the local retail shops (Wal-mart, Big Lots, etc.) Is there a difference in quality? What purpose do they serve and where do you attach them to your BC?

All of the light sticks are pretty much the same, regardless of who says what. The discount stores are fine for a purchase like that. They are used so that other divers can easily spotsee you if you your back to them.Just tie it to be cack of your tank valve or anywhere on your back and you'll be fine.

I like them for identifying my buddy if group diving at night (buy something other than the bog standard green), and some boat captains like you to wear them in case you're on the surface without a light. Also makes finding your body easier in the event you die during the dive :D

Buy the 12 hour ones if you can find them - might as well have one that lasts all night in the event you get seperated from the boat. Camping sections of stores like Target are usually the cheapest source - pay $1.50 instead of the $5 I've seen asked for them in dive stores.

Usually they have a small hole and hook on one end - easiest thing to do is just ziptie them around the neck of your tank, or to a hose near the regulator if you're doing more than one dive. Always take spares, because they have a surprisingly high failure rate out of the packet - either trough mishandling or being out of date.

Here's a hint to all divers - keep your extras out of sight on the dive boat - I ended up dishing out spares plus zipties to three strangers on the last dive (who were all asked before boarding if they had them and they said yes) because they didn't have them. The zipties I don't mind, but my save-a-dive kit is for saving my dives. At least offer to pay a dollar or two for them, and don't stick your hand out for one when asking. Buy your bloody own. Prepared divers aren't charities.

Throw them in the bin on shore when finished - don't throw them over the side of the boat like some divers do. And don't break them open underwater to play with the iridescence - sure it looks cool, but do you really want to be swimming in those chemicals and adding it to the environment?

Some people prefer battery operating glowstick substitutes.

If you're planning on doing alot of night dives, a box of 50-100 can usually be had on eBay for 8-10 bucks. Scubaroo has an excellent point on the spares:wink: Why can't people be prepared?

SCORE ResQ once bubbled...
If you're planning on doing alot of night dives, a box of 50-100 can usually be had on eBay for 8-10 bucks. Scubaroo has an excellent point on the spares:wink: Why can't people be prepared?

I just bought a 1000 zip ties over at harbour freight tools for $3.99 plus tax.

For the most part, a glow stick is a glow stick....you can get them in cool colors too, I prefer blue...why...to be unique, and my buddy can pick me out of a group if we get seperated

You might even be able to check out your local army surplus store....but check the exp. date on them...sometimes they are way out of date......

Last quarter, we had a girl bring 5 sticks to the class the night we 'simulated' a night dive in the pool....the sticks glowed for 30 minutes at best....I went to look at the packaging, b/c she said she got all 5 sitcks for a buck. They were all past their exp. date, but I mean well past, the must current one expired in '97...while the oldest expired in '89

As "cheap" as the initial cost of a light stick (aka cylume) is, it is not nearly as useful or cost effective as using a Personal Locator Light (PLL).

These are little lights that take anything from 1-3 AAA or AA batteries. They burn for a long time and are re-useable for multiple dives because they draw so little power. Not so with a light stick.

And what do you do with the light stick afterwards? You have to throw it away! Some dive destinations, like Bonaire, do not even allow you to use them because of the trash problem: people would use them then just throw them away on shore.

Plus most of them come with a little lanyard or similar device that makes it easy to attach them.

~SubMariner~

SubMariner once bubbled...
As "cheap" as the initial cost of a light stick (aka cylume) is, it is not nearly as useful or cost effective as using a Personal Locator Light (PLL).

These are little lights that take anything from 1-3 AAA or AA batteries. They burn for a long time and are re-useable for multiple dives because they draw so little power. Not so with a light stick.

And what do you do with the light stick afterwards? You have to throw it away! Some dive destinations, like Bonaire, do not even allow you to use them because of the trash problem: people would use them then just throw them away on shore.

Plus most of them come with a little lanyard or similar device that makes it easy to attach them.

~SubMariner~

I've had a few battery powered lights but there were only good for one dive, they kept flooding or breaking, or something else that prevented their reuse. I'll stick to the glow sticks until the have a better kind of light.

scuberd once bubbled...

I've had a few battery powered lights but there were only good for one dive, they kept flooding or breaking, or something else that prevented their reuse. I'll stick to the glow sticks until the have a better kind of light.

IF you really want to go that route...I have a DAN safety light (it is amber color and has three 'on' modes) and it works very well. Still have the original battery in it, and I've had it for almost 2 years.

Granted they run anywhere from 40 to 60 bucks and I wouldn't pay that for a light, but hey, I won mine with a buy 3 get 1 free raffle. A good deal for 3 bucks....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom