Buddy breathing vs Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to use buddy breathing twice in real life situation. It was in the early 70't before the common use of the octopus and I was the donor in both cases. It worked fine both times and it was not an issue.

If properly trained on buddy breathing, it is a very effective tool. The octopus or any alternate air source does add convenience and it increases a safety factor, but we used to dive without them for years without any issues.

I don't know of any statistics, but I would search on the DAN web site or send them an email requesting if they have that kind of information.

Does any one know a case where, in a sharp situation, buddy breathing has worked fine for both the receiving and donor?

Many times before 'octopi' were common.

Seems to me that if you're properly trained, there ain't a gnat's ass difference between buddy breathing and using an octo. That's just my 'umble opinion, but it's mine so I'm sticking by it.

Seems to me that if you're properly trained, there ain't a gnat's ass difference between buddy breathing and using an octo. That's just my 'umble opinion, but it's mine so I'm sticking by it.

If you try buddy breathing with someone who is a bit panicked - you will discover the difference.

And they better be trained to do it exactly the same.

Does any one know a case where, in a sharp situation, buddy breathing has worked fine for both the receiving and donor?

Can I find any statistics anywhere on this?

...a...

Yes, me, and my wife was the donar.

In an effort to minimalize I am getting rid of the ocotpus, secondary BS, power inflator garbage and all of that, don't need all of that failure prone crap. Just the bare minimum. Since you can barely carry a tooth brush when you travel, scuba is going to have to adapt to the fact that travel is not what it used to be.

Long hose???? how about NO hose!

N, "N" 2 zen

What Luis_H and Blackwood said.

I know of several real life OOA "saves" using buddy breathing in the mid-70's and early -80's. It was stressful, but no panic.

I've personally never gone OOA, nor have any of my buddies, even when we were all using J-valves. So I've never had to use buddy breathing other than in practice situations.

Prior to widespread use of the octopus, we were trained to buddy breath. I believe the octopus is certainly a better solution for sharing air, but like many I feel that buddy breathing should still be part of the basic OW curriculum.

Safe Diving!

before I met her, my partner had an ooa and buddy breathed through the ascent, safety stop, and surface. I can't recall why an octo wasn't used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom