Cleaning tar off of fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paint thinner on a rag. Try it on a small section first to make sure it does not soften the fin material first.

Caution: Let the rag dry in the sun for a day before putting it anywhere it could self combust.

I think the best product on the market that is safe is GOO GONE. I use it for tape and to help take off stickers when we do VIS inpsections on tanks. It is also great to get gum out of carpet! Basically, if it's sticky or stuck this stuff will usually get it off rather easily.

eWash-P-CSup-GooGone.jpg

Carolyn:shark2:

What is the best way to clean tar that is stuck to my fins?

Thanks in advance.

Try sticking the fins in the freezer overnight, and then flexing the fin near the tar... it might pop right off in one piece without any solvents.

I'm not sure how it would work for fins but I used baby oil for my feet, wetsuit, and surfboard after surfing when I was at UCSB. Plenty of nasty tar at those beaches but the stuff worked like a charm and I would definitely recommend it if you need to get tar off your skin as it's quite gentle.

One thing I've found that works well for things like this is Zippo lighter fluid. Squirt a little on there, let sit for a minute, then wipe off. Remember, No Smokin:)

WD40 or, spray silicon. I find whatever the wd40 doesn't dissolve, the silicon makes short work of.
I'd be careful about freezing your fins then flexing them. While this may work for chewing gum on cloth, I'd worry that the rubber fin may become brittle & crack.

Back
Top Bottom