PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: During a dive, does your mask leak at all?

psychocabbage
April 22nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
Mine does not. You can see the beads of sweat on my face until I get on the boat and break the seal. The strap is super loose. Its just a perfect fitting mask.

My wife has 4 masks. She generally has issues with them and will have to clear them periodically.

I contend that this should not be normal.

What say you?

SkipperJohn
April 22nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
for over 25 years all of my masks have leaked a little. Not an issue.
The only time it was an issue is when I bought a mask that had a purge valve and it leaked.

drl
April 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Mine leaks only if I laugh, or grin really broadly (the cheek movement compromises the seal a little). Otherwise, not a drop.

TMHeimer
April 22nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
I have to still be conscious at times of exhaling slightly through my nose. When I don't do it, my mask rarely leaks.

Clanggedin
April 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
If I have freshly shaved then my mask leaks, but if I have stubble it doesn't leak. Go figure.

Sonic04GT
April 22nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
My Tusa mask with precription inserts leaks a little but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. My Scubapro Marin is great.

tfsails
April 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Mine leaks around my moustache if I've forgotten to shave it off under the nose. Otherwise, it's fine.

I tend to exhale through my nose a lot, so I'm always breaking the seal.

Web Monkey
April 22nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
My wife has 4 masks. She generally has issues with them and will have to clear them periodically.

She may or may not ever find a mask that fits perfectly. There are no guarantees that anybody makes a mask that happens to match her face.

I have a SCUBAPro XQ (old and out of production) that fits me perfectly and doesn't leak. Every other mask I've tried does leak, so when my old mask finally dies, I'll probably be in the "leaky mask" camp.

As long as it's not a continuous thing and only requires clearing a few times during the dive, it shouldn't be a big deal. If it leaks a lot, she should probably keep looking and/or have an experienced diver check it out in a pool to figure out why it's leaking. Sometimes it's as simple as a strap position/tension adjustment, while other times the mask is really just not the right shape.

If you have a friendly LDS, see if they'll let you take an assortment to the pool. That's about the only way you'll really be able to know what works.

Terry

DBailey
April 22nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
My mask does not leak unless I smile, laugh, or take the regulator out (and put it back in).

Granted, there are the "bad" mask days that not matter what happens, my mask seems to trickle in a tiny bit of water.

300bar
April 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
All most al masks fit me perfectly,no leaks,

Unless one of my students realy messes up and I start to laugh.:D

AlabamaSusana
April 22nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
All of my masks (and I have many) leak to some extent. I keep trying. My current favorite is the ScubaPro ClearVue, it appears to be well-designed for a small face.

gypsyjim
April 22nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
I have to still be conscious at times of exhaling slightly through my nose. When I don't do it, my mask rarely leaks.

Sometimes forget and nose breath, of course it leaks then a bit.

If I have freshly shaved then my mask leaks, but if I have stubble it doesn't leak. Go figure.

Mine leaks around my moustache if I've forgotten to shave it off under the nose. Otherwise, it's fine.

I tend to exhale through my nose a lot, so I'm always breaking the seal.

With full beard have learned that shaving top half of lip before the dive is vital to prevent leak!

I have had a sunscreen stick of some sort I found years ago and keep in my save a dive for days I just can't keep it sealed right. Very effective, unless I nose breath. Then any mask leaks.

under water
April 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Older pictures of me usually show about an inch of water in the mask when posing vertically. I now use an Oceanic shadow that fits me much better and less water now gets in, but still some.
I find that at the beginning of dives I need to let some in and swish it around to unfog the mask, even when I use de-fog (natural or purchased).

TSandM
April 22nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
My first three masks leaked slowly but steadily. The one I have now doesn't leak AT ALL on 90% of my dives. Occasionally, I'll get it cockeyed or get some hair under the skirt, and get a few small drops. It's delightful to have a truly dry mask.

FritzCat66
April 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
I have a beard and moustache, so a little leaking is just normal around the nose. However, I notice less leaking when the moustache is grown out and more leaking if it's short and stubbly - go figure; I guess if if the hairs are long enough to "lay down" they compress and don't leak as much.

Anyway, I compensate and keep the mask clear by constantly exhaling just a little from my nose. It gets to be habit. However, that means I need really good industrial-strength defog, and I've tried many, including plain old baby shampoo, etc. My current favorite is the Sea Gold gel - as good as I've found but it's still not perfect.

Another trick I learned is to sort of scrunch up my face right before putting the mask on, then un-scrunch when the mask is on but before I really press it down to seal. Easier to show than to describe in words, but it does help keep down the little leaks I used to get from changing facial expression underwater.

I have also recently started to use the silicone Mask Sealant (https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/maskleaksealant14oz-p-1815.html) sold by Dive Right In Scuba, that I found out about right here on SB. I have to say, I was initially skeptical, but turns out it works very well, even around the moustache, and one application lasts several dives. Good stuff, although it can't compensate for a poorly-fitting mask to begin with.

Oh, one other thing learned from experience... if you wear a thin spandex hood like I do, make sure you run your finger all around the face opening to ensure none of it is caught under your mask seal! :doh:

gypsyjim
April 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
After many years of martial arts, where breathing threw the nose is so important to stamina, it can be real hard to remember to mouth breath only when diving!

At least a little leak makes it easy to de fog: look down, roll head a bit, look up. Viola, no fog. Small blessings, huh?:D

SouthSideScubaSteve
April 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I have a mustache and had problems with my first 2 masks (one purge style & one not) leaking consistently. I tried Vaseline and chap-stick, but it didn't seem to help. I then started shaving a small gap just under my nose and that helped, but I still had issues ... Basically, they were both cheap & really didn't fit quite right!

Since getting my Aqualung MicroMask I've got no leaks at all!! However, I've found that I need to break the seal after entering the water to defog it, then it's ok until the water temp changes (by even a little as 3-5 degrees) & then it fogs right up again...

farsidefan1
April 22nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
4 of my 5 masks leak a bit. The 5th is a scubapro prescription mask which NEVER leaks. Amazing as I sport a full beard (shaved very close). If not for that 5th mask I would not believe anyone who said they had a mask that doesn't leak at least a bit.

Walter
April 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Who cares? Clearing a mask is ridiculously easy.

Blackwood
April 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Mine usually leak, and if they're really clean (i.e. nothing for fog to cling to) and cold the condensation will pool up at the bottom.

As Walter said, no biggy.

After many years of martial arts, where breathing threw the nose is so important to stamina

... or SCUBA diving where exhaling through the nose is important for equalizing.

bhalah
April 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
I have found that sunscreen residue will cause a mask to leak.

gypsyjim
April 22nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
... or SCUBA diving where exhaling through the nose is important for equalizing.

Moderation. Easy way to break the seal.

Sas
April 22nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
My first mask (Tusa Serene) didn't leak at all (unless I hadn't put it on properly) for about 150 dives but slowly it has started to get worse and worse over the last few dozen dives, not sure why. A few dives ago someone landed on my head and broke the buckles on it so until I fix that I have been using a brand new mask (OMS generic kind of mask). Works perfect and there are no leaks at all, forgotten what it was like to do a dive with no mask leakage :) If I laugh or smile underwater though, my masks have leaked. My buddy has lots of pictures of me blowing raspberries underwater as a result as my mask doesn't leak then. ;)

psychocabbage
April 24th, 2009, 09:40 PM
After many years of martial arts, where breathing threw the nose is so important to stamina, it can be real hard to remember to mouth breath only when diving!

At least a little leak makes it easy to de fog: look down, roll head a bit, look up. Viola, no fog. Small blessings, huh?:D

I too am a lifetime martial artist but found the mental control of my body allowed for me to easily transfer where I breathe from.

The wife uses the small leak for the defog.

As for the poster that said "Who cares, clearing is easy!" I agree.. It is easy. but, given the choice of having a mask with 0 leaks or exposing my eyes to salt water, 0 leaks wins out every time.

ScubaSteve
April 24th, 2009, 09:44 PM
My mask almost always leaks a little but not always bad enough that I have to clear it. I can have half a mask full of water for an entire dive where it never gets any worse, but as soon as clear the mask it is like opening the flood gates. So, unless it gets bad, I just live with it.

I keep meaning to get a new mask but have not yet.

C Diver
April 24th, 2009, 10:29 PM
my mask rarely leaks. When it does I have broken the seal by moving it or not getting it tucked under the hood or just by fascial expression changes... or breathing through the nose too much...

However, I have a mask with a purge valve and I love it. i didn't really want one at first but its great. 99.5% of the time no water to worry about.

Gen San Chris
April 24th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I have noticed that even if you have a mask for a long time and it is a really good dry fit, sometimes, on the odd dive it will leak like crazy! the next dives it is fine again! The main thing that I tell my students is to choose a mask because of its fit and not its color or style! Some of my students have even bought the masks from me that they used during their training if they fitted really well!

rongoodman
April 25th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I've never yet had one that doesn't leak--at least I'm good at clearing them. I used to think it was because I had an old guy wrinkly face, but the more I think about it, the more I realize I'm probably exhaling through my nose. Something to work on the next time I get in the water.

dumpsterDiver
April 25th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I hate water in my mask! I found that if I put the mask on dry, it will usually not seal well. But if I get my face and/or mask edge wet, this makes for a much beter seal, I assume the thin film of water serves to seal the skirt.

Nemrod
April 25th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I always put water in the bottom on purpose, what, masks are supposed to be dry? Go figure, next they will want hyper stretch neoprene. What is the world coming to? Uh, a total collapse of developed civilization I suspect.

N

Walter
April 25th, 2009, 07:22 AM
given the choice of having a mask with 0 leaks or exposing my eyes to salt water, 0 leaks wins out every time.

Don't you practice no mask breathing?

piffle
April 25th, 2009, 09:53 AM
You mean they are not suppose to leak. I thought I had the auto anti-fog option on mine.

Teamcasa
April 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
My mask does not leak but I will let water in sometimes to clear the glass.

fresh_fish
April 25th, 2009, 10:56 AM
My mask leaks sometimes, even though it's a perfect fit.... Why?

I'm always grinning! If I keep a straight face, and pretend I'm not having fun, it's great.

soonerwink
April 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
After years of working outside and getting older (52), I have developed a few deep wrinkles at the corner of my eyes and between my eyebrows. I have tried several different masks and have yet found one that doesn't leak. I have even tried some mask glue, and that didn't help. I have become very proficient at mask clearing though. Sometimes when taking pictures it is a problem. I would like to find one that doesn't leak since I do wear contacts. When the saltwater gets in them it is very irritating.

Blackwood
April 25th, 2009, 11:52 AM

I'm doing that right now.

Moreover, my tear ducts work, so I'm used to having salty water in my eyes.

Anyway, I'm off to dive.

esskar
April 26th, 2009, 04:53 AM
normally, my mask does not leak. But during vacation - being all lazy - i do not shave. And with all the hair in the face, leaking can not be avoided. :)

LeadTurn_SD
April 26th, 2009, 05:47 AM
My mask usually doesn't leak during a dive.

However, I usually do leak during a dive; something to do with being surrounded with all that water I suppose.... :D

Best wishes!

ScubaSteve
April 26th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I hate water in my mask! I found that if I put the mask on dry, it will usually not seal well. But if I get my face and/or mask edge wet, this makes for a much beter seal, I assume the thin film of water serves to seal the skirt.

I would think that the thin film of water would actually allow the mask to find a natural seat (i.e. slip and slide into place) rather than to aid in the seal but who knows. If it works run with it. I may try this sometime soon as my method typically will only see the mask getting wet before putting it on my face.

keyshunter
April 26th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I have a moustache and full beard. For years, I played "musical masks" until I discovered the Tusa Liberator (now Liberator+). That was the first mask that, for me, was totally dry. Occasionally, I get a hair under the skirt which causes a small leak, but ordinarily they are totally dry. After about 400-500 dives, I find that the skirts stiffen slightly, and do not seem to seal as well. At that point I buy a new Liberator+, drop in one of my 3 sets of prescription lenses, and the current mask becomes my backup.

Nemrod
April 26th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Oh, oh, saltwater in my eyes, wah, wah, wah ;).

Walk it off, man up.

N

psychocabbage
April 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Quarry dives (no salt water) are where I do my practice and skills honing..

Salt water to me implies that I am now in some warm water and spending a good bit of $ to enjoy myself with my family underwater. At this point, I would have to say that NO. I dont do any "skill honing" as this is what I call practical application. Should something arise, I will deal with it accordingly. I will not however waste underwater time in good places on practice.

We do normally hit up the quarry about 3-5 times before we head off on vacations. Its not like the vacation dive is the first of the year. Our quarry here is about 28-32ft deep so it lets us get deep enough to practice things (vis there is hideous!) but shallow enough that we can practice emergency ascents if needed. I generally focus on gear and bouyancy tho.

back on track..

I am going to order a backup mask because my wife has 4 and I only have my 1. My first mask was given to my eldest daughter who now uses it.

InTheDrink
April 26th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I don't really care whether my mask does or doesn't leak. I'm stubbily so it often does (although curiously after a week of continuous diving and increasing stubble growth the leaks gets less - softer beard or just being used to the water? The latter methinks)

Also, I wear contacts and fail to see what the issue is. I've never lost a pair whilst open eyed maskless swimming, Maybe my eyes are different, sticky or something.

Finally, and useful tip maybe - if you're leaking a lot, learn to exhale through your nose. Don't change attitude or make any adjustments, just exhale through your nose and it will clear.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1