What kind of diver are you?

Pick the one or more that best fits your diving. Full description in First Post.

• Recreational Diver

Votes: 191 60.1%
  • Rec-tech Diver

Votes: 67 21.1%
  • Minimalist/Vintage Dive

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Technical Diver

Votes: 40 12.6%
  • Public Safety Diver

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • Recreational Dive Master/Guide

Votes: 30 9.4%
  • Professional Recreational Dive Instructor

Votes: 25 7.9%
  • Technical Dive Instructor

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Professional Dive Instructor

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • Commercial Professional Diver

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Military Diver

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What category to you fit in?

1. Vacation Diver: I only dive when on vacation or special diving trips, purely recreational diving. (about 10 or so dives a year)
  2. Recreational Diver: I dive a few times a year locally but I also dive on vacation. (about 20 or so dives a year)
  3. Active Recreational Diver: I dive when ever I can, recreationally, cold or warm water, local and on vacation. (about 30 or so dives a year)
  4. Avid Recreational Diver: I dive on a regular (non-professional) basis , recreationally, cold or warm water, local and on vacation. (more than 50 dives a year)
  5. Active Recreational Diver with a purpose: I dive to because I love the photography/videography aspect, I almost never dive without my camera.
  6. Rec-tech Diver: I dive frequently but not generally in caves or wrecks but my gear is technically inspired.
  7. Minimalist/Vintage Diver: I dive frequently but not generally in caves or wrecks but my gear is minimalist or vintage gear inspired.
  8. Avid Rec-tech Diver: I dive frequently and gear is technical/DIR/GUE compliant (mostly). I have or am taking the first set of technical/cave/wreck classes.
  9. Technical Diver: I dive frequently and gear is technical/DIR/GUE compliant. I have taken and passed the first set of technical/cave/wreck classes.
  10. Avid Technical Diver: I dive frequently and gear is technical/DIR/GUE compliant. I routinely/frequently dive in technical situations/locations. (Caves/wrecks/decompression/mixed gas/rebreathers, ect.)
  11. Public Safety Diver: I dive as a volunteer or as a profession in Public Service. (Fire/Police/Paramedic, ect.)
  12. Recreational Dive Master/Guide: I dive mostly for resorts/dive boats, may or may not be my only job.
  13. Recreational Dive Instructor: I dive mostly to train Recreational Divers, may or may not be my only job.
  14. Professional Recreational Dive Instructor: I dive to train Recreational Divers. It is my only job.
  15. Technical Dive Instructor: I dive mostly to train Technical Divers, may or may not be my only job and I also train some recreational divers.
  16. Professional Technical Dive Instructor: I dive to train Technical Divers. It is my only job.
  17. Professional Dive Instructor: I dive to train Technical Divers. It is my only job.
  18. Professional Diver: I dive as part of my job, but not as an instructor or guide. I am paid to shoot photos/videos, demonstrate gear, hunt for treasure/historical artifacts or for science/research.
  19. Commercial Professional Diver: Diving is my job. I dive for/in commercial/industrial situations.
  20. Military Diver: If I tell you what I do, I may have to kill you.

Avid Recreational Diver. I have averaged about 50-100 per year (only lately slowing down a little but hoping to change that trend back)

Polls only have 12 choices. Feel free to elaborate in a post.

Since you gave muliply choice.
1 profesional instructor-it's what I do for a living
2 professional guide-see 1
3 rec.diver-what I do for fun.

I guess by your definition I would be a technical diver and recreational dive instructor.

But frankly, I spend a lot of time just bimbling around and I don't feel like a "technical diver". I just make some dives and never get too impressed by myself for that (which is the impression I get from a lot people who *call* themselves "technical divers")

R..

Mainly #5, but sometimes #12.

I average over 100 dives a year with my camera. When I was working full time as a DM (for fun, not as a living) I was doing over 200 dives a year. Now I occassionally DM for a couple of boats if they need the help.

21. I dive for fun and to see stuff. Sometimes that stuff is deep enough to require stage decompression and mixed gases.

Warm-water:fish:pretty-fish diver

A combination of 3 through 5.

Dive on weekends fairly regularly locally when conditions are good. If the weather sucks (cold, windy, wavy, rainy) or the water gets cold (<73) then we just say "We live here, we'll go next weekend!"

Many times I'll have a purpose of finding critters for my GF and her folks to take pictures of. Other times I'll be trying to catch some bugs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom