It's been a long journey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gunther49

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I tried to get back into scuba late last year. However I was a non swimmer, It is amazing to me, how hard it is to find adult swimming instruction. Found private swimming instructor but was booked up 2 months in advance, so looked elseware.
time kept winding down, so in march this year I found an instructor who would teach me but in a kids class. In a class of 8 students, the combined age of the other 7 didn't equal mine, but I eventually learned. OW classroom went well as did the pool sessions.
However, being the genious that I am (ha) I bought an AquaLung SolAfx 8/7 Semi-dry wetsuit. This because I had heard how cold the Quarry was, and I wanted to dive local
to build my experience. The Problem came at the Open Water dives. I got suited up, put on my gear, and in less than 5 minutes I was so overheated, I felt like I would pass out. The Dive Master Looked at me and Quickly Got my gear off and Got me out of my Wetsuit. They gave me cold water and poured Ice out of a cooler on me.
A few minutes later I felt better, and they went and did thier first two dives. I started feeling better, While waiting for them to finish up, Another dive operator, suggested, that I ask my Dive trainer if I could suit up and gear up in the water. He agreed, This seemed much better as I suited up but, but before we got my weights worked out for neutral balance I was overheated again, and called it a day. At the end of the day I was totally exhausted and no dives, Both the Dive trainer and Dive Master recommended I rent a 7mm from the shop and try again the next day. By the time I got to thier shop I was still exhausted, so I just turned in the tanks and said I would try @ the next scheduled OW date. Good news Rented the suit, Though now very apprehensive, I did the dives and all went well, I am Certified. Note: a 7mm is not adequate below the thermocline. It is Cold. I will be taking AOW in Two weeks, Hopefully I can work out the issue with my Semi-dry. PS: The Dive Shop (Adventure Scuba)really worked with me A first rate operation, Glad I picked this Shop.

OW one weekend, AOW two weeks later. Sounds reasonable.

I can relate to the class full of kids. At 43 years old, I started taking flute lessons, and at several of my flute teacher's student recitals, I've been well over twice the age of the next oldest participant.

I was probably sweating as bad at those recitals as you were in the semi-drysuit!

Congrats on getting certified, and hope you do get the issues worked out!

Back
Top Bottom