PADI couldn't find my records :( 1970's...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexlakeman

Reaction score
I called PADI yesterday to get a replacement card and they couldn't find my records. They said they looked it up in the microfiche and nothing :( ... How far back do they keep records? They asked for my name and b-day. I've narrowed down the years I got certified (1977-1979). Would that make a difference if I call back? How do they look up such old records, by year or by name?

Any other ideas ? :D . I wanted to get a refresher course, but don't want to have to take the whole thing again..tks

How long has it been since you dove? A full course may be your best bet if it's been more than a few years. They go by name and date of birth. Are you using the name they have on file? If you omitted a middle initial or used a shortened version(ie Bob instead of Robert) they will not be able to find it. Do you know where you were certed and is the shop or instructor still around. Be advised that due to the relaxing of standards a full course now may seem like a refresher from the 70's with many PADI facilities. You don't get nearly as much content and it can take as little as a weekend. Isn't that scary?

Do you remember your instructor's name?

How long have you been "dry"? It might be a good idea to do the entire course again. The course you took in the 70's is much different and was probably much more challenging then many of the courses today.

I don't know you and can't judge you but I would say you would be doing yourself a great service to take an open water course over.

-John
Posted via Mobile Device

I had the same issue with NAUI. I took Scuba as a Phys Ed course in college and was certified in 1976. When I called a year or so ago, they couldn't find anything. The good news is that I did a lot of research and determined that things had changed A LOT since 1976. :shocked2: The even better news is, that as of about 2:00 PM this past Sunday, I am once again certified to buy air. :D PADI check out dives completed and airline tickets purchased to FL as well as the permit for the opening of lobster season.

The previous comments are completely right. You will find the full course to be a refresher compared to what you did back in the day. It came back to me very easily. It really didn't seem like 25 years since I had breathed underwater.

I might just have to take the course again.. .tks

I called PADI yesterday to get a replacement card and they couldn't find my records. They said they looked it up in the microfiche and nothing :( ... How far back do they keep records? They asked for my name and b-day. I've narrowed down the years I got certified (1977-1979). Would that make a difference if I call back? How do they look up such old records, by year or by name?

Any other ideas ? :D . I wanted to get a refresher course, but don't want to have to take the whole thing again..tks

They keep records going back long before you claim to have been certified and are very good at finding your record...if you were ever actually certified.

It doesn't really matter if it's your first time or your fifth, take the class.

My father was certified about 34 years ago and his last dive was just over 30 years ago. He is retaking the whole course because a lot has changed in that 30 years. I too would recommend just jumping back in with a whole course, its fun to do anyways!

You might want to talk to the instructor about the PADI "Experienced Diver" track. If you have proof of previous diving experience, an instructor can issue a C-card without you having to repeat the entire class. You do have to complete other requirements, though.

NAUI didn't appear to have any of my records from '88. But I had the cards and the signed off log book entries so when I wanted the MSD card (ego trip), all I had to do was send copies. It helps that all of the training dives are stamped with a LARGE NAUI logo and signed by the instructor. No question about the authenticity.

You really need to keep track of those cards and logbooks.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom