Buoyancy Control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Hamm

Contributor
Reaction score
In the middle of the biggest neighborhood ever
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to take up underwater photography when i get certified, but im not even going to touch a camera until I learn very good buoyancy control and other skills that are needed. Any drills or such other than just diving more than would help me gain those skills to become a better diver to maybe start touching a camera?
Thanks
Mitch

For proper buoyancy..you have to be properly weighted and balanced...
Plus learn to control your breathing rate so you are able to control your buoyancy with your lungs and not your BC.

Last edited:
You can practice good buoyancy control in the pool or the ocean by just hovering. Pick a depth and try to remain motionless. Breathe in deeply and you should move up in the water. Breathe out deeply and you should move down. Keep your breathes shallow and you should stay in one place.

Did you do fin pivots in the pool? Here you rotate up and down off the bottom with only your fin tips touching the surface.

I'll get flamed for sure but sometimes you just kneel in the sand and take photographs. I used to carry a couple of extra pounds of weight to be certain I could stay planted. Don't kneel in the coral or touch anything. But I just can't get deeply concerned about sand.

Watch this: YouTube - Buoyancy Control And Trim - Scuba

Richard

A back kick is essential to help maintain your position.

Thanks to all of you for this help, I will undoubtedly learn most of this through the certification and experience. But the point of using your lungs as a sort of BC is very intuitive, ive heard it before, but didnt think that shallower breaths would lessen my movement, thanks again all

Don't count on learning this in your OW course. In my experience, most instructors don't truly have a solid grasp on buoyancy control, let alone how to teach it.

I'd recommend diving with someone who has it down, observe and ask questions. Here's a clip showing you what you're shooting for:

Don't count on learning this in your OW course. In my experience, most instructors don't truly have a solid grasp on buoyancy control, let alone how to teach it.

You forgot to mention that PADI and other dive agencies want you to spend the extra $$$ to take their Peak Performance Buoyancy Course. IMHO, buoyancy control and proper weighing lessons should be part of the basic course and peak performance buoyancy must be part of the AOW course. In my PADI basic course, they overweighed me and made me do fin pivots but never dealt with adjusting your weighing to fine-tune buoyancy.

You forgot to mention that PADI and other dive agencies want you to spend the extra $$$ to take their Peak Performance Buoyancy Course. IMHO, buoyancy control and proper weighing lessons should be part of the basic course and peak performance buoyancy must be part of the AOW course. In my PADI basic course, they overweighed me and made me do fin pivots but never dealt with adjusting your weighing to fine-tune buoyancy.

Unfortunately this whole bouyancy thingy varies from instructor to instructor ofcourse, some teaches it the way PADI wants it and some do the little extra if you know what I mean.

Bouyancy is hard in the beginning, we've all been there done that and some even got the t-shirt.

Practice untill you'r eyes bleed and ask more experienced divers about their tips and tricks, even ask them to go diving with you so that they can have a 'hans on' aproach.
When I go diving with the most experienced divers in our club I always ask them after the dive if they noticed my hovering and if they have any thoughts about it, we should not be afraid to ask for help or help a fellow diver.

I practice on almost every dive I go on. I feel that I have a 'good' bouyancy control but still, I want to improve, and there's alot that I can improve on.

Thanks for all the advice guys, and yeah, i heard that even if you have a cert, your not really certified... Know what I mean? Itll jus come with experience and effor

Back
Top Bottom