HELP! Masks always leak!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goldentouch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I am a 45 year old female diver and have been diving a year now. I have found that leaky masks cause me to get nervous. I have never been great at clearing my mask but I do it with temporary success. I have tried probably 9 different masks and they all tend to leak. I need help and recomendations from experienced divers. My face is rather thin and has some creases. It still seems that there should be some mask out there that will work. Some people say I put it on too tight....but if I don't water pours in an I get scared that I will choke...HELP if you can!::confused:

Wendy

Hi, I am a 45 year old female diver and have been diving a year now. I have found that leaky masks cause me to get nervous. I have never been great at clearing my mask but I do it with temporary success. I have tried probably 9 different masks and they all tend to leak. I need help and recomendations from experienced divers. My face is rather thin and has some creases. It still seems that there should be some mask out there that will work. Some people say I put it on too tight....but if I don't water pours in an I get scared that I will choke...HELP if you can!::confused:

Wendy

Hey Wendy!
I dive with a HydoOptix. The skirt is really nice and soft. The first time I tried it on I thought, "Wow! This is a comfortable mask!" It also has purge valves which, of course, many will criticize, but may help you with your leaking problems as well. I paid $80 for mine on eBay and it came with a lot of extras.
ms

Have you tried the TUSA Mini Keilo mask? My wife has a small face and it seems to work really well.

If you've had trouble with 9 different masks, you may be exhaling out your nose without knowing it. Very common problem.

If you're a "nose breather" do a dive and concentrate on not exhaling through your nose (but make sure you equalize the mask so you don't get a squeeze) and try something other than the really low volume masks. Lower volume makes it easier to break the seal when you exhale.

If it is a fit issue, Tusa uses a higher quality silicone than most and will usually work for someone that is difficult to fit.

I used to have a similar problem and always assumed it was the mask.

But before spending your money, check some common mask problems:

Adjustment - make sure the strap is not too tight (reaction for many people is that if it leaks, tighten it and this can actually make the problem worse - and leave that mark on your face that won't go away for three hours)

Is there a tear anywhere in the mask?

HAIR - if you're not wearing a hood, make sure you don't have stray bits of hair in the mask. This always causes leaks

Other things - such as moving your face around - will create a bit of a leak.

I'm convinced you can't have a perfectly sealed mask. There will always be small quantities of water entering the mask. With some experience, you get used to it - albeit it can be rather annoying (especially when the shark sighting of a lifetime passes you just as you have to clear your mask)

The too tight suggestion is a good one, as is the blowing through your nose too often (only do this occassionally to equalize mask and reduce mask face).

Also where on your head the strap falls -- better for me higher on the back of my head.

Getting used to water in your mask is necessary. For me it's the water laying around my nose that annoys me!

Try to do 'small clears' every few minutes if it really annoys you. It is a habit of mine now to just push the top of my mask and blow out my nose every once in a while. So no major build up of water happens.

I have a narrow face and I find that the Riffe Viso is the absolute best mask for me. It also has a decent amount of soft silicone around the mask that would probably help seal up the leaks in the wrinkles.

Try masks on in a store by putting them up to your face and pulling a slight suction. If you can do that and hold the mask on, it's more likely it will be a good fit underwater. And like others have told you, don't pull the strap too tight - it's counter-intuitive, but the tighter you pull it, the more it leaks. Give it a try....only go down to 10 feet and see how it is (that way you know you're still close to the surface). Don't have it super loose, but only tighten it enough to have it hold onto your face effortlessly.

Also, clearing your mask and getting a little bit of water in it should not be an issue. You need to get comfortable with this skill as it is a very important one. I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of taking my mask off or flooding it, but I can do it....no one says you have to enjoy it, but it should not be something that causes a lot of anxiety.

Back
Top Bottom