Skills Clinic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckchick

Scubavangelist
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
There have been several threads recently that have talked about the need/desire to improve basic underwater skills and what that would mean for the 'tweener divers like myself. I have enough dives to know that I need some improvement and that I'm lacking in some areas.

I would be very interested in doing a refresher/remedial clinic that would help me identify problem areas and I'd like to learn some new techniques for how to handle myself underwater.

I already know that much of this is covered in a DIR-F class, but I'm not quite ready to go that route because I don't think that the philosophy is necessary to achieve good practices with my current gear configuration and diving goals.

So, anyone else out there interested in doing this kind of clinic and what would you pay an instructor to do a few dives with you to work out some bugs?

If there's enough interest, maybe we could convince some of our board gurus to do this for us!

Rachel

Interesting idea. I think it's the first post of it's kind I've ever seen.

A non kool-aid drinker wanting to improve skills???

I don't get it...who are you and what have you done with our stroke friends?

Seriously...maybe a bunch of people can get together and do some self-critiques on their dive buddy's. I think most would be pretty candid b/c they don't owe the other person anything.

I like the idea...I'm not an instructor....but I know of one or two that might be interested in just showing up to give out a little advice....not to mention some seasoned veterans who'd probably join the whoel hoorah.

I can find more info on it if you want (just for comparison since it is a haul for you), but a local guy (GUE Tech 2 and Cave 2 - I think) runs buoyancy clinics that are essentially what you are talking about. He does them at one of the local quarries and I think he charges something like $50 for them..

it is a great idea. Timing and such would be the issue with me participating but I would love too.

Chad

Have your dive video taped and then reviewing it post dive is another good way to to improve skills. Its hard to know what to correct unless you see yourself doing it.

biscuit7 once bubbled...

I would be very interested in doing a refresher/remedial clinic that would help me identify problem areas and I'd like to learn some new techniques for how to handle myself underwater.

So, anyone else out there interested in doing this kind of clinic and what would you pay an instructor to do a few dives with you to work out some bugs?

If there's enough interest, maybe we could convince some of our board gurus to do this for us!

Rachel

Great idea, I hope someone like Mike or Doppler or in fact any of the other instructors who care about the quality of students can take the ball and run with this type of program.

Now to be the realist....Who really would take this course?.. And at what cost?..

I hope this works out. I really like this idea.

I would come and play just for fun.

A freind of mine has a bran new video set-up. I can't speak for him of course but I can try to talk him into it.

Do I hear camp out at Gilboa?

I am thinking more along the lines of PARTY :party::boozer:

where there is camping there is beer...beer good.

Do I hear camp out at Gilboa?
If you see anyone wearing a rec.scuba shirt and possessing an IQ that is less than the number of guns they own, you might want to move your campsite elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom