BP/W Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The overwhelming advice given on the board when asked what kind of BCD to purchase is to get a BP/W. Reasons seem compelling. As a convert myself, I do not want to belabour the advice. What I think is missing is what to do with it after it arrives. How do you assemble it? What goes where? What should I attach and where? How tight should the straps be? What kind of buckle or d-rings? I know that it took me a few weeks to figure it out. How to thread. Different types of harness configs. Distribution of weight pockets on shoulder straps, SS buckle on cams and so on.

I think that it would be useful to create a FAQ or sticky that provides help to divers who have just purchased a new BP/W. A list of do's and dont's. The problem is that unless you dive with experienced BP/W users, it's hard to figure out on your own. Most LDS instructors have never used one and cannot help. Any suggestions?

It all depends, JIMHO, on what type of diving you plan to do or do most. I have a bp&w and all I do is rec warm water diving. So for me, I doubt I will die because I have the delux harness with the plastic quick releases. I would undoubtedly go with a diff harness if I were going to hang tons of deco bottles off me, but I am not.

So a bp&w is no diff than buying a vehicle. What'cha gonna do with it? Haul manure? Then dont get the BMW. A nice truck would do fine.

I got someone in my LDS to show me how to make the harness (they showed me for free). It was a one-piece harness. We copied it off another diver who'd left their harness there as an example and it took a while (about an hour) as we kept doing it the wrong way :rofl3: Think he was out of practice and I had no idea. But now I can adjust it and rethread it myself very quickly. Perhaps ask someone who has one, or get a shop to help you. It is not hard, just a bit fiddly.

Most LDS instructors have never used one and cannot help. Any suggestions?

Find an LDS where folks DO know what they're doing relative to configuring a BP/W!

:eyebrow:

www.TSCscuba.com

But seriously, I guess I'm lucky in that my LDS and instructors spent a great deal of time with me sizing my harness, configuring my rig, properly placing d-rings, etc. Spent about three hours between working on the shop floor, then getting in the pool and diving it. That included trying several different plates, harnesses, wings, etc.

Yeah, I probably spent $50 more on my whole rig than if I ordered on-line, but I saved more than $50 worth of hassle and time by getting the right rig for me the first time and having the thing fitting/working perfectly the very first time I actually dove it.

I was lucky because I had Tobin explain most everything to me two years ago. A BCD is easy to don; Not much to do. A BP/W OTOH requires quite a bit of set up. It still took me quite some time to get it right. I wish that more instructors taught OW in BP/Ws; It would save a lot of time effort.

I was lucky because I had Tobin explain most everything to me two years ago. A BCD is easy to don; Not much to do. A BP/W OTOH requires quite a bit of set up. It still took me quite some time to get it right. I wish that more instructors taught OW in BP/Ws; It would save a lot of time effort.

Unfortunately most instructors work out of a dive shop and most dive shops will not sell BP/Wings. The reason is because there is not near the markup on BP/W as there is on industry standard BC's like jackets and back inflates. Dive shops don't necessarily want to sell something that they know will be the last rig someone will need because then they have just screwed themselves out of repeat business from the same customer. With a BP/W there is nothing further to upgrade to.

Unless there are rogue instructors out there that choose to teach in BP/W and are outside of the loop on equipment profits, chances are that if the instructor works for a shop then they will be wearing what that shop sells.

The BP/W is an internet baby. Dive shops chose to ignore the entire phenomenon of people using BP/W for single tank recreational use and so have been left behind long ago.
Actually, most LDS's operate in such a bubble that by the time they even heard about BP/W (at least around here) it was too late, the fire storm of popularity and buying them over the internet had already taken off.

Dive shops don't necessarily want to sell something that they know will be the last rig someone will need because then they have just screwed themselves out of repeat business from the same customer.

You sure about that, Eric? I'm looking at the LDS receipts I've accumulated since buying my first BP/W, and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom