The Beginner's Mixture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCBC

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Will Nitrox take the place of Air, as the preferred "beginners mixture?" Why or Why not?

To further expound...being a new diver, I have felt a push towards Nitrox from a few experienced divers I've talked to. I plan on taking the class eventually, but I'm not aiming to have more certs than dives under my belt at the moment.

Will Nitrox take the place of Air, as the preferred "beginners mixture?" Why or Why not?

No.

Dive shops already complain that they don't make money on air fills. Factor in the increased cost of fills using nothing but nitrox and it will be even worse, whether real or imagined.

New divers will have a hard time going to 200' on a single tank without incurring an oxtox hit without the availabilty of air.

No.

Dive shops already complain that they don't make money on air fills. Factor in the increased cost of fills using nothing but nitrox and it will be even worse, whether real or imagined.

New divers will have a hard time going to 200' on a single tank without incurring an oxtox hit without the availabilty of air.

It's a simple matter to raise the price; at least this time they'll have a reason. :)

I would not think so.

A beginning diver has enough on his plate diving the walls in the Caribbean without worrying that he might be breathing a toxic gas at 110ft.

It's a simple matter to raise the price; at least this time they'll have a reason. :)

Yes, but then there are other repercussions as well. If the shop does partial pressure fills, then that's going to require that ALL customer tanks be O2 clean and maintained as such. Then there is the matter of keeping enough O2 on hand to meet the demands of customers and the snafu's that could result from a late delivery from a gas supplier, etc.

Nitrox may eventually replace air, but I don't see it as a something thats likely to happen soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom