I'll tell em to Yank your C-card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is question that has been puzzling me lately (after reading several threads where it has been brought up). Can/does an agency ever yank someones c-card?

My understanding is that an agency teaches a set of objectives and then tests the individual. If someone passes they are certified to that level of instruction and the agencies control of the individual stops there (DM's and instructor levels excluded).

Some agencies have safe diving guidelines/standards that they suggest divers follow but what if the diver chooses not to follow them? I'm not interested in hearing whether these are safe activities or not but rather whether an agency can/does void certification because of it.

Are there cases where this has happened and if so what were the circumstances?

Interesting question.

Wouldn't it be a bit like a High School deciding that you'd turned out to be a real dolt in later life, and yanking your High School Diploma? :D

I'd think in order for a non-professional scuba certification to be revoked, it would need to be an actual license subject to renewal rather than a c-card which is "for life" as I understrand it.

But I'm interested to hear what those folks "in the know" have to say. :popcorn:

Best wishes.

Here is question that has been puzzling me lately (after reading several threads where it has been brought up). Can/does an agency ever yank someones c-card?

GUE can. I don't believe the others can revoke non-professional cards. (if revoke is the right term when an instructor can no longer teach for an agency)

:rofl3:The agency could put up "Wanted for flagrant violations of safe diving practices" posters with your picture on it in all the dive shops.

GUE can. I don't believe the others can revoke non-professional cards. (if revoke is the right term when an instructor can no longer teach for an agency)

To add to this (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), I think the way GUE does it is to issue a card that that expires, and if the cert gets yanked, then it won't be renewed.

I also seem to recall that they would deny renewal of a card if you didn't show proof of actively diving. Not sure if that has changed or not.

I've never heard of it - but who knows? Could the issuing instructor pull his/her name from your card?

Hmm . . . can't really talk to diving certifications, but I can compare them to others .. . .

Some certifications are a "snapshot" in time. A diving cert is like that. At that one place, at that one time, an individual demonstrated the knowledge and the skills to be certified at that level. Welding is also a "snapshot" certification.

Some certifications are time-sensitive, and are issued with expiration dates. I can point to IT, IA, and EMT, for example. One must show that s/he has continued studies to a certain level of continuous learning units or points, or must be retested to show competancy.

In the professional fields, one is licensed. Licensing is normally self-policing, one must show continuous learning, and malpractice gets you challenged by the board and complaints brought to the state for license revocation.

So - - - I don't think agencies can revoke certs unless there is fraud proven. My $.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to this (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), I think the way GUE does it is to issue a card that that expires, and if the cert gets yanked, then it won't be renewed.

I also seem to recall that they would deny renewal of a card if you didn't show proof of actively diving. Not sure if that has changed or not.

That is true. There is also a statement that says (don't have it in front of me) that you agree to surrender your card if asked.

I wonder if GUE has ever done this?

It's often said here on SB in jest or in anger, but no agency even has that mechanism other than GUE.

Even beyond that, they can simply take your card away (I think mine says the card is the express property of GUE and must be surrendered upon demand by the board of directors). According to one of the head honchos, this has happened one time. Really gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom