Neoprene Allergy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larain

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
I was certified back in August 2007 and I am now a Master Scuba Diver. I dive wet and about 6 months ago, I started breaking out in a rash on my face soon after diving. I thought maybe it was from the sun, or wind. I went diving yesterday, and not only did my face swell and break out in hives, I had an itchy rash on my arms, leg, hands and feet. (this is the first time I dove since August) I didn't dive today, and my arms, leg, feet and hands are better, still a little itchy, but the rash is almost gone. The swelling is gone from my face, but it still has a rash and is itchy. I wear a full 7 mil wetsuit, hood, gloves and boots.

My son, who is also a diver, suggested I wear my skin under my wetsuit, but I still wear a neoprene hood, gloves and boots.

Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Is the suit N1S or N2S? When was the last time it was "Cleaned & Washed"? If it was washed recently, what was the detergent that you used?

My suit is a Henderson Woman's Thermoprene wetsuit. My hood is Henderson 5/3 mm Hyperstretch. I washed everything the last time I used my gear, back in August. I use McNett Wet Suit & Dry Suit Shampoo. I have been washing my suit with the same product ever since I started diving and didn't start to have a reaction until about 6 months ago.

Try a different washing solution. My Mom has used a skin care product for years and started to have this rash. She had become allergic to the product. Soak your suit a couple of times in something else and rinse really well. Put the suit on an arm or leg wet for an bit and see what happens. Or even flip the suit wrong side out, lay it over a lawn chair or something to let your leg rest on the suit while it is wet.

There is always the dry suit option.

Hello,
I was certified back in August 2007 and I am now a Master Scuba Diver. I dive wet and about 6 months ago, I started breaking out in a rash on my face soon after diving. I thought maybe it was from the sun, or wind. I went diving yesterday, and not only did my face swell and break out in hives, I had an itchy rash on my arms, leg, hands and feet. (this is the first time I dove since August) I didn't dive today, and my arms, leg, feet and hands are better, still a little itchy, but the rash is almost gone. The swelling is gone from my face, but it still has a rash and is itchy. I wear a full 7 mil wetsuit, hood, gloves and boots.

You could check with an allergist, however it's probably cheaper to just buy a drysuit.

You also might want to switch to the Pinnacle Merino hood, since the part that touches your face is actually fabric.

Terry

I don't think it's the shampoo, since I don't wash my suit/hood/gloves/boots everytime I use them. I dive mainly fresh water and rinse everything with plain water when I come back from diving and shampoo everything after every 2-3 dive trips.

Terry, my husband dives dry and he has the Pinnacle Merino hood too. He showed me the inside of it last night...he also suggested that I dive dry, but I enjoy diving wet.

Are you diving in the same water every time you get this particular reaction? I know that if I so much as put a foot in 2" of water in Galveston I end up with a puffy, itchy, hive-like reaction. You mentioned that you dive fresh water.... are there any farms or golf courses nearby that might have insecticide running off into your dive pool?

Terry, my husband dives dry and he has the Pinnacle Merino hood too. He showed me the inside of it last night...he also suggested that I dive dry, but I enjoy diving wet.

You could try the Pinnacle wetsuit. It's also fabric on the inside.

Terry

Are you diving in the same water every time you get this particular reaction? I know that if I so much as put a foot in 2" of water in Galveston I end up with a puffy, itchy, hive-like reaction. You mentioned that you dive fresh water.... are there any farms or golf courses nearby that might have insecticide running off into your dive pool?

I do dive, generally, in the same area, but I have been diving there for 2 years and just started to develop the rash about 6 months ago. I am trying to rule out every possibility. I don't really wnat to go dry, but I don't want to not dive either, so dry may be my only alternative, since it is getting worse everytime I dive and don't want to chance a more severe reaction. I just never heard of anyone with an allergy to neoprene.

Back
Top Bottom