Wisdom Computer First Generation Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh0322

New
Reaction score
I recently bought a Sherwood Octo from a friend that came with the Primary and Alternate Second Stages and the first generation Wisdom computer. The Octo (minus computer) has only been used once and the computer has never been used in a six year period. Is there anything I need to know specifically about the Wisdom Computer first generation?

The dealer I spoke with stated that I should look into purchasing another computer since the Wisdom first gen. is six years old.

Any thoughts and comments will help as I have never used a computer before.

thanks

I'm not with sherwood, but sounds to me like the dealer may want a little more of your money. There's nothing wrong with a Wisdom Gen 1. My wife and I have them on our rec rigs and they are pretty bullet proof. As long as the battery is fresh you should have no issues. Download the manual to see how to set limits / and your gas mix but other than that it's pretty straight forward.

I recently bought a Sherwood Octo from a friend that came with the Primary and Alternate Second Stages and the first generation Wisdom computer. The Octo (minus computer) has only been used once and the computer has never been used in a six year period. Is there anything I need to know specifically about the Wisdom Computer first generation?

The dealer I spoke with stated that I should look into purchasing another computer since the Wisdom first gen. is six years old.

Any thoughts and comments will help as I have never used a computer before.

thanks

the second generation of that computer has only been out about 1 year,if that much..there is not too much of a difference between the two.

Thanks for the replies! So the saga of this computer just ended today. The dive store service guy called me and told me that when he put in a new battery the computer came up the the letter "E" after it ran through its diagnostics. Afterwards, he said he took the battery out and waited 24 hours before putting it in and starting it up again. He said he got the "E" again and I should consider having the dive shop ship the computer back to Sherwood and see if Sherwood will "cut me a deal" on the Wisdom II. I told him that I would discuss it with my wife and see what we should do. So, today, I went in and picked it up. He seemed hesitant to release the computer to me and even nervous when I just purchased a battery outright from the dive store to put in the computer. So, I put the battery in the computer; after the diagnostics, "ALT" would flash four times then it would shut off. I then messed with pulling up the serial number and mashed the buttons together at the same time...lo and behold, IT WORKS!!!!

I'm excited because I am technology-retarted. I gave the computer to my wife and got a new guage because half the time, I can't find the "on" button on a computer! Now I'm having second thoughts!

Anyways, I don't think I'm going to be using that dive store for anything other than service on my Sherwood stuff (they are one of two dive stations on Guam) and the other doesn't service Sherwood.

So, again, thanks for the posts.

The early Wisdoms had lots of problems, check the serial number (on the back), if its a low number its likely an early production model and they were prone to erratic behavourial issues.

This was corrected in later productions, but a 6 year old unit sounds like a very early production model. If you have to force it to switch on, I would say theres something wrong.

Best to have it checked out before useing it, a blank screen at 30metres in a raging current is not a great experience.!

the second generation of that computer has only been out about 1 year,if that much..there is not too much of a difference between the two.

Actually that the third generation the wisdom 2 7100 series is the second generation the 9100 series released last year is the third generation.

Josh0322 you should send it back for service before a vacation, you mostly will have that problem again at the worst time.

Back
Top Bottom