canister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clipperTT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a can light in the sub $1200 range. That puts me into the 10 watt LED/HID variety I think. I'll be diving mostly wrecks with the expectation of night diving also. Can someone shine a light on what I should be looking at?

If you're going to be doing local diving, I'd haunt the TDS classified and pick up a used 21W HID. I've bought a couple there for well within your budget.

divegearexpress.com has a new 16watt LED from Hollis at $850. Looks to be really good. They have a beamshot picture on the site as well.

I bought an OMS canister light quite a few years ago directly from OMS while I was at a DEMA show. I still have it, I don’t know why, because IT NEVER WORKED RIGHT! It wouldn’t hold a charge from day one and OMS wouldn’t do anything about it! I’m still pissed off about that.

I love my 21W HID Salvo, just sent it in for service to Light Monkey and am borrowing a 12W LED which is wimpy in comparison & not great in low vis daylight hours.

Keep looking and you can definitely pick up a good used one within your budget.

That Hollis LED 16 looks pretty good actually. The beam looks tight and the burn time is in the range I'm looking for. Seems like everyone is switching over to LED, I've just heard that Halcyon is D/Cing their HID line and going all LED. Does anyone on here have a LED can light that can comment on it?

I have an LED Can light made from the SSC P7 LED. It is supposedly between 700-900 lumens. I Love it but then most of my diving is in 40+ ft Viz. I like the color temp too. It's almot imposibble to break the LED also. I've been trying to get it to Hudson Grotto which should be a good test for Low viz.

I also use the Intova 4.w LED as backups and am always blown away when I turn them on. LED is definately the future.

Last edited:
I use a Dive Rite LED 700, which did okay in California last month when I was there, mostly daylight diving in 15-20 foot vis. Granted, it's a wimp next to the Salvo 21w HID that Kathydee has, but I recently used it here in Hawaii and it seemed like it was a bit too much light, the fishies were RUNNING from it but there was no end to the beam in those waters. I also like the fact that it runs forever on simple AA batteries.

Oh yes, it's also well under your budget, as DiveGearExpress is still offering them for $499.

Golem Gear is offering a twin LED canister light that they claim offers the equivalent output of a 50w Halogen. I don't like how the beam spreads are (10*/20*) but if you are looking for a whole lot of output it is just inside your price range. Twinled CAVE LED canister light system with unique LED head.

I think your best bet is to try and link up with some local divers here on SB and check out what they use in the local waters, some may be willing to let you try them out as well so you can form your own opinion of them.

Peace,
Greg

That Hollis LED 16 looks pretty good actually. The beam looks tight and the burn time is in the range I'm looking for. Seems like everyone is switching over to LED, I've just heard that Halcyon is D/Cing their HID line and going all LED. Does anyone on here have a LED can light that can comment on it?

I have yet to find a living soul who has actually dove that Hollis light and written about it. If anybody finds a real review that involved getting in actual water, I would love to read it!!!!

I have the 12 Watt LED that Kathydee finds so wimpy. I guess her 21 Watt has her spoiled. For the kind of diving you are planning to do, it will be fine. It is relatively compact, easy to carry on trips, etc. A friend of mine used that light on a trip to Truuk Lagoon, and he was the envy of the entire liveaboard.

At some point I am going to want something bigger and brighter, but this is doing all I need it to do for me now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom