How cold is water in Keys right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgpp123

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im goning to the keys next week and planning on several shallow and a couple deeper (100 foot) wreck dives.Since its been so cold ,can anyone tell me what thickness wetsuit is recommended,hoods etc.Any help would be great,thanks

It's gone from 3 mil to drysuit for this fat boy. No hood or gloves needed, but gots to keep the boys warm.

That's surface temp. Low 70's...

Can you provide a more accurate link?

Mine does not specify that it is surface temperature but it certainly doesn't deny it either :D

I just got back on Sunday after spending a week there with record setting lows. I dived Wednesday and Friday. At depth the temps on the reefs were 72F and on the Vandenberg it was about 74F because of the warmer Gulf stream. Wednesday I had on an isotherm layer, a full 3ml, a shorty over that, gloves, booties, and a hood. On Friday I used the isotherm layer and a 5ml with hood, gloves, and booties. It's not the water temp that will get to you, it's the wind chill once you're out. I was fine during the first dives of the day but couldn't warm up on the surface interval (it was about 54F with wind chill in the lower 40s) on Wednesday. It was incredibly uncomfortable and I was probably close to hypothermia (teeth chattering uncontrollable, lips were blue).
Last Friday Key West finally had a warm-ish day and I was comfortable on both dives. Bring at least 2 dry towels: 1 for after first dive, 1 for after 2nd, and bring dry clothes and a ski cap to change into on the boat. That helps immensely. If you have a thermos you can fill it with a warm drink to thaw out your core. A word of advice: if you want to have warm clothes like a ski cap and scarves, bring them with you. It was almost impossible to find anything like that on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom