Suunto Computer's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was just wondering about everyones opinion on Suunto Computers. I have the Cobra and the Gekko. I was thinking about getting the Vytec after taking Tech40. Does anyone have any opinions about the Suunto line?

I was just wondering about everyones opinion on Suunto Computers. I have the Cobra and the Gekko. I was thinking about getting the Vytec after taking Tech40. Does anyone have any opinions about the Suunto line?
I dive with a Vytec (in a low-profile bungeed DSS mount, on my wrist) and I like it. I've used it for hundreds of dives, and in gauge mode for a few decompression dives.

Three things to know about the Suuntos:

1. When you dive nitrox, you're supposed to round your actual oxygen percentage down when entering it. The computer adds one to the number you entered, on the assumption that your mix is fractionally richer than the number you entered--but the computer display will not tell you this (although this information is contained in the manual). You can see the net effect of this by comparing the computer's MOD display with a MOD derived from tables or formulas.

2. Suunto's PC log software (Suunto Dive Manager) computes and displays consumption rates adjusted to standard temperature and pressure (STP), which means corrected to 0C/32F. This will make the displayed consumption rates differ slightly from what you would compute using the same tank/pressure/time/average depth info.

3. If you enable the wireless pressure function, synchronizing the computer with the sender too soon or wandering away from your rig may require a re-synch. I've had this happen a few times. Study and learn the re-synch sequence described in the manual.

Number 3 is for me the only downside to the Vytec. Although I think Suunto's dive logging software could use a major overhaul, including the ability to export data to some standard form like tab-delimited (or storing the data in some public and accessible format in the first place).

-Bryan

I have both the Helo2 & Vyper Air. I've had them about 8 mos. Overall I've been pretty impressed with them. These computers both run off the same wireless transmitter (recreational). They also the ability to change the algorithms from very conservative to pretty liberal. While not the absolute user friendliest, they aren't too bad. I also like the dive planner program. Very easy to use. As I am not yet trimix trained, I have not yet used that feature on the Helo2.

Loved my cobra, now waiting for my cobra 3 to come in since my cobra died.

Loved my cobra, now waiting for my cobra 3 to come in since my cobra died.
How many dives did you get out of your Cobra?
How did it die? Is Suunto replacing it under warranty?

Just curious. I only ask because your profile shows less than 100 dives, and dive computers should last for several hundred dives at the very least.

I have the Cobra and the Gekko.

Since you already own two Suunto computers, why are you asking this question? Haven't you been satisfied with the ones you have? The Vytec is very similar so you should know what to expect. Are there other specific questions you are really wondering about?

I use the Vyper in nitrox mode usually with air. I like the algorithm and the simulator mode. Wish it had more graphics and nitrogen loading graph. The digits are not the easiest to read and the serial interface is dated and slow.

Adam

Since you already own two Suunto computers, why are you asking this question? Haven't you been satisfied with the ones you have? The Vytec is very similar so you should know what to expect. Are there other specific questions you are really wondering about?

I am very satisfied with both of my computers. I have heard a few people say they didn’t like Suunto because they were too conservative. I was just asking what you guys though about them. I don’t really have a direct question. Thanks for you input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom