Writing a Newsletter--Need some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbeast1414

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

So I just got this great opportunity offered to me by my LDS: writing a monthly newsletter in exchange for some free dives. Since I am 15, short of money, love diving and writing, this is perfect! As NorCAL divers (or maybe not) I was wondering what your guy's favorite dive sites are and wouldn't mind seeing an article about. The newsletter would include location, entry, exit, marine life, difficulty level, parking, directions, pictures, videos, quotes, etc. Also, there would be random articles about things in diving, like SAC rates or etc. If anyone has any ideas that could help me get started that would be great!

I've already got the main sites; monestary, breakwater, lovers, lobos, etc.

But your input and ideas would be great!!!! I am writing for you so what would you like to see in it?

THANK YOU!!! :D

On the North Coast, you've got Ft. Ross, Stillwater and Gerstle (in Sonoma) and Van Damme, Russian Gulch and Caspar (in Mendocino) for starters.

Writing stuff like that with less than 25 dives is an invitation to a
lawsuit. I'd write up "here's the dive I did", not "here's how to dive
a given site". And make it clear you are a newb.

Chuck

Chuck,

Everything I will write is based off fact, already proven and documented, I will just consolidate it in an easy format. If I have dove the spot, I might add my experience but I won't pretend like a master diver (which by the way also doesn't make you qualified to tell people how to dive a site).

You'll still want to state your experience and certification level, how you got your sources, and when you're giving your opinion as opposed to fact. That's what makes a good news report.

For starters, beside those you've already mentioned, I'd like to hear about Carmel River. =P

Also list hot spots. Like how you see a lot more life near the edge of the breakwater. Or how activity changes a lot during the night

You could also give the formula and procedure on how to calculate your average SAC rate and how much time you'll get on a dive at a certain constant depth.
(taking to effect that you should gather your SAC records from similar water temps)
Also include how to take into effect the 500 psi you'll come up with and the amount of air you'll use at your 3min safety stop, and 1min deep stop (if necessary) all based off your SAC rate.
Sum it up on how doing this will allow you to plan your dive so you know what time and what psi you should begin your ascent on. :D

Edit: I forgot you're 15 xD
.....what type of math are they teaching you in highschool right now?

You'll still want to state your experience and certification level, how you got your sources, and when you're giving your opinion as opposed to fact. That's what makes a good news report.

For starters, beside those you've already mentioned, I'd like to hear about Carmel River. =P

Also list hot spots. Like how you see a lot more life near the edge of the breakwater. Or how activity changes a lot during the night

You could also give the formula and procedure on how to calculate your average SAC rate and how much time you'll get on a dive at a certain constant depth.
(taking to effect that you should gather your SAC records from similar water temps)
Also include how to take into effect the 500 psi you'll come up with and the amount of air you'll use at your 3min safety stop, and 1min deep stop (if necessary) all based off your SAC rate.
Sum it up on how doing this will allow you to plan your dive so you know what time and what psi you should begin your ascent on. :D

Edit: I forgot you're 15 xD
.....what type of math are they teaching you in highschool right now?

haha don't worry about it. The math is easy enough (algebra 2 honors). I really should be studying for the quiz i have tomorrow:D

haha don't worry about it. The math is easy enough (algebra 2 honors). I really should be studying for the quiz i have tomorrow:D

haha I know how that goes :rofl3:

Sum it up on how doing this will allow you to plan your dive so you know what time and what psi you should begin your ascent on.

For the recreational diver, calculating SAC rates is overkill.
Simply note your PSI (P1) when you leave the bottom and your
PSI on the surface (P2). From that you can simply calculate the
PSI you SHOULD have had when you left the bottom.

And for the newb, calculating SAC rates is an exercise in
frustration because they are highly variable.

And what says that a one-minute "deep" (whatever that means)
stop is sufficient? That's way less time than your heart takes to
circulate your blood once.

The deep stop is a stop that detailed in the NAUI book's, my computer manual, as well as my university's manual for scientific diving, so I hope that it at least does something.
Anytime you go past 60ft, they suggest a Deep stop at half your max depth for 1 minute.
It's an added safety feature, like the safety stop.
I believe DAN had something to do with it.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/Article.aspx?newsid=514

Also your body does not need to circulate blood in one full "revolution" to get rid of nitrogen. It is constantly shifting things to remain in homeostasis. So even a 1 minute will do something. Whether that's effective or not, I'll leave it up to the experts. I just take everything I hear with a grain of salt, and slap my own opinion on it :D

As for the recreational diver, I think knowing your SAC rate is a good thing and not overkill. Noting your PSI on the bottom and the PSI on the surface to calculate what you should have all depends on if you get to surface with enough PSI in the first place.
I'm not saying you should calculate your bottom time everytime.
But for dives where you go deeper than 60ft, I think it's a good idea.

Now if you have a computer that calculates your SAC rate for you and your estimated bottom time, then you don't really have to worry about that. But some of us are on a budget ;D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom