Dive Report: Ft. Pickens NightDive, Feb. 15th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocCarl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We spent the afternoon over at Ft. Pickens scouting some sites for our wedding. The tides and weather looked favorable, so we tossed the dive gear in the car, too.

About 4:15 we headed over to the dive site to take a look. The water looked beautiful and clear. Sunset was at 5:38, So we planned to splash around 5 in order to experience both day and night on the site. After a some minor trouble with a slipped bungie cord, we actually hit the water right at sunset.

Visibility was at least 20' at the beginning of the dive, dropping down to 15 towards the end. High tide was supposed to be around 8:30, but we experienced a slight outgoing current the entire time.

The golf cart is mostly covered now, as well as the jeep frame. Reef life looks especially healthy- - - almost every square inch of substrate is covered with encrusting sponges, coral, or anemones. We swung by the rocket launcher about 20 minutes in, hoping to see an octopus or two, but no such luck.
Most of the larger fish were out for the day, but we did manage to find a couple of decent sized sheepshead later on. Tiny, juvenile flounder were all over the place, as well as lots of sea robins. Kate managed to catch two porcupine fish (no fair when they're sleeping!) and I gently scooped up a snoozing cowfish and carried it over to her a little while later. Kate did find a squid- - he didn't ink her, but he didn't like that light in his eyes too much, either.

Even though I've been to Ft. Pickens several times, It's amazing to me how easy it is to get turned around out there at night even with 'good' visibility. We spent the last third of the dive on a casual search for the dive flag! Fortunately, we stumbled on it with about 700psi left and came on in shortly thereafter.

A great dive and an AWESOME night dive!!

44' max, 54 minutes. The water was a balmy 55 degrees.

Hi Carl,
Thought you were getting married in New Orleans? Have you changed to a beach wedding? That's what we did - sunset on the north shore of Kauai.

Tina

Hetland,

Things were looking so good last night that I may be headed back over this weekend. I'm bummed about the octos, too. the rocket launcher is often crawling with them.

BamaSkubaCat,
Yep, the wedding plans have changed a little. We're moving it towards a beach wedding- - although we found a couple sites inside Ft. Pickens that we're considering.
You ever get all your cold water stuff together? Also, there is a possibility that we MIGHT be heading over to vortex this weekend sometime, if you'd like to dive. . .

BamaSkubaCat,
Yep, the wedding plans have changed a little. We're moving it towards a beach wedding- - although we found a couple sites inside Ft. Pickens that we're considering.
You ever get all your cold water stuff together? Also, there is a possibility that we MIGHT be heading over to vortex this weekend sometime, if you'd like to dive. . .

Fingers crossed the weather holds for you. If it does, beach weddings are the best!!!!

Still looking at wetsuits. Hit 2 shops in P'cola yesterday. Guys at MBT are terrific - I was really impressed with them. However, they didn't have my size in any suits. Tried one on that was just a little too big - they could order it but I didn't really like it. If you know of someplace I don't to try some on let me know.
Until I find a 5mil and/or a hooded vest I'm gonna pass on vortex. Too cold!!! :shakehead:

Fingers crossed the weather holds for you. If it does, beach weddings are the best!!!!

Still looking at wetsuits. Hit 2 shops in P'cola yesterday. Guys at MBT are terrific - I was really impressed with them. However, they didn't have my size in any suits. Tried one on that was just a little too big - they could order it but I didn't really like it. If you know of someplace I don't to try some on let me know.
Until I find a 5mil and/or a hooded vest I'm gonna pass on vortex. Too cold!!! :shakehead:

Divepros stocks ScubaPro wetsuits and they usually have a good selection of sizes. Check them out!

Have you tried Gulf Coast Divers in Mobile? They have a pretty big selection in stock. They'll even let you jump in the (heated indoor) pool with one if you're not sure on the fit.

I have looked at theirs but didn't try any on. I need to go back over there again. Thanks!

Divepros stocks ScubaPro wetsuits and they usually have a good selection of sizes. Check them out!

I did stop by Divepros. She only had one 5mil (a scubapro) but it was nowhere close to my size so I didn't try any on.

What brand suits do you guys wear/like and why???? Or I guess an even better question might be what do the women you dive with wear?

Thanks for the help :blinking:

What brand suits do you guys wear/like and why???? Or I guess an even better question might be what do the women you dive with wear?

Thanks for the help :blinking:

Henderson Hyperstretch 5mm or Thermoprene 3mm, or just Bioprene.

I also have a Pinnacle Merino 7mm.

Scubatoys will help you find a size and exchange for free if you don't like the fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom