Worth to rip out DiveRite transpate harness for a 1 piece hog harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If I were to get another harness, it will sure be one piece webbing. But when I started, I didn't know as well, so I went with Transplate harness. At this point, is there a good reason to make a change? What can Transplate NOT do where one piece will do?

Well, you won't look as cool with the Transplate harness as opposed to the single piece harness when you hang out with the boyz in black.

Ask yourself this, "Does Lamar Hires know what he was doing when he and his people designed this harness?"

Did they do it just to make a buck, or did they actually have a reason to?

Even Mr. DIR himself had his company came out with an adjustable harness. Why is that if the single piece harness had worked so well the last two decades?

But hey, if you want a single piece harness then get a single piece harness. It's like $20 with all the D-rings and accessories.

But when I started, I didn't know as well, so I went with Transplate harness. . . .If I were to get another harness, it will sure be one piece webbing.
Out of curiousity, why? I am not disagreeing (or agreeing), just wondering why you individually have come to this conclusion after using the Transplate harness. Is there something about the harness you do not like in particular?
At this point, is there a good reason to make a change? What can Transplate NOT do where one piece will do?
You might get a somewhat different response if you posted this in the DIR forum. It is hard to say what the Transplate harness can NOT do, compared to a single piece, other than the Transplate has several potential failure points (the plastic quick-release buckles) that a single piece would not have. It has unnecessary) padding that might add very slightly to weight requirements. But, it does everything that a one piece does in terms of providing for attachment of the plate (and tank) to your body.

If you are comfortable in the current harness, and it fits you well, until there is sufficient wear on some part of the harness to suggest possible failure during a dive, I cannot see a compelling reason to change

Get 4m of 2" webbing and a metal weight belt buckle. Rig it up, take it for a test dive in the pool and see what you think. It'll only cost you a few bucks. If you prefer the way it feels, add a crotch strap and some d-rings afterwards.

With all due respect to Lamar Hires, I don't feel the need to swell his bank account when I can make something equally effective (and actually preferable for me), at a fraction of the cost, myself.

With all due respect to Lamar Hires, I don't feel the need to swell his bank account when I can make something equally effective (and actually preferable for me), at a fraction of the cost, myself.

This..

I think it may depend on how you don your gear. If you have a pedestal to prop up the tank to back/shoulder level, then the traditional one piece webbing will probably work nicely. I primarily beach dive and do not have a stand to raise the tank to shoulder/back level. I have to kneel down, slide my arm through the left shoulder strap and then through the right. Having some slack in the shoulder harness, makes this easier for me. Likewise during the doffing process, being able to add slack to the shoulder straps lets me easily remove the BPW, as I lower it on the ground.

Also, the shoulder straps of the Transplate anchor to the waist band and not the back plate. I honestly don't know if this is advantageous or disadvantageous.

Except that the OP had already enlarged Lamar Hires' bank account by buying the Transplate harness. The horse is already out of the barn. So now the OP is going to shell out more hard earned dollars to re-equip the BC with a single piece harness? For what purpose? What gain is the OP going to get out of it?

There is no particular reason to do so unless you are going to be enrolling in a course where the instructor requires it. If your not going to buy another plate, all you need is the 12 ft of webbing, all of the hardware on the transplate can be reused.

I have dove a 1 PC harness for 4 or 5 years now and also use a transplate on a lot of ow dives now (about a year). I also used the transplate on a couple of cave dives in Australia last year. I like them both. I think I lean toward the one piece harness, but that is likely just familiarity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom