Showing your card...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLArmyBrat

Reaction score
I went into a different LDS today to get my tanks filled because my regualr LDS was closed for DEMA. I had never been in this shop before and the people working didn't know me from Adma..or Eve for that matter. Anyway, they took my tanks right back filled them, charged me and never not once asked me if I was certified or to see my card. Is tht strange? I thought they are supposed to be pretty strict on this kind of thing.

Just wondering,
Laurel- The Frog Queen
:royal:

They are supposed check your card. My LDS never asks for mine as they know me, but if they didn't I'd expect that they ask.

Bob

I seldom get carded for air. If you bring in 3 or 4 tanks and start BSing I guess they get a feel that you know what you're doing. On boats its higher, about 80 % ask for a card. I've never had anyone eyeball a card or check the name.

I've seldom had mine checked - although I have dived with many different operators who don't know me. Since I am certified, I don't guess that would matter. If a shop fills a tank without checking the C-card, though - they're at bigger risk.

I keep one card handy in my billfold, though - usually my Nitrox card, for when the LDS or DO does want to see one, or when I enter a bar that IDs everyone. :band:
don

FLArmyBrat once bubbled...
Is tht strange? I thought they are supposed to be pretty strict on this kind of thing.

Just wondering,
Laurel- The Frog Queen

I've only been carded a few times, and only on boats...

When you say you think they are supposed to be strict on it, I presume you think there is a regulatory agency saying who can be provided air...

My guess is that they are only regulated as to the quality of air, not who they provide it to.

But, I could be wrong.

I stand corrected. I thought they were supposed to ask.

Bob

GratefulDiver once bubbled...
I stand corrected. I thought they were supposed to ask.

Bob

It's a mistake when they don't, and if they don't - then if an uncertified person takes that tank and hurts or kills himself, they're in trouble - liable for damages, etc. :nono:

don

FLArmyBrat once bubbled...
I went into a different LDS today to get my tanks filled because my regualr LDS was closed for DEMA. I had never been in this shop before and the people working didn't know me from Adma..or Eve for that matter. Anyway, they took my tanks right back filled them, charged me and never not once asked me if I was certified or to see my card. Is tht strange? I thought they are supposed to be pretty strict on this kind of thing.

Just wondering,
Laurel- The Frog Queen

When I get fills outside of the shop I work for then I usually come in with a wet tank, wet hair, dressed in drysuit undergarments, eating a sandwich and asking for air in my own tank. I'd be pretty surprised if they asked to see my card. I did get carded for Nitrox until they recognised me, though.

When I first learned to dive and I rented gear with my tanks I got carded pretty much every time. They probably just wanted to see how long I had been certified to get an idea of what thier chances were of me sinking to the bottom of the Pacific with all their gear on.... LOL

R..

There's no law in most places that says you need a card to buy air. If a shop is affiliated with a retail organization like a PADI shop or an IANTD shop or whatever then they have to follow the agency standards which say you can only sell air only to certified divers. If a shop is just a shop then there aren't any standards and there aren't any laws so all the person needs is a few bucks.

I think the whole card thing is silly.

Besides, you could print out a card on your computer or boorrow some one elses. How di I know. Not all cards even have pictures. I know people who have cards that are 30 years old or more. They don't look anything like the picture on the card anyway.
The whole thing is stupid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom