Tightening Tank Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today I had a problem with my tank strap on the BCD. It felt like it was slipping a little on the way back, and when I got back into the dive shop, it looked like it had slipped a few inches.

How do I make sure the tank is strapped as tightly as possible?

I wet the straps today, and tried to tighten the straps really hard, but maybe I just need more strength. Does anyone have any strategies to tighten tank straps as tightly as possible?

People often say "wet the strap first", but my LDS doesn't usually wet the straps and it's always fine. Is that always necessary?

The wetter the better. The straps tend to loosen when wet, so if you can get it wet, and let it soak for a minute, then cinch down tight. If you need help levering down the cam on the strap, you can usually pull the strap and use it as a lever.

A subject dear to my heart. If you have a BC with 2 straps you're in better shape. If not, buy the Apollo Bio Tank Lock (no, I don't work for them). About $100. Holds tank tight as a rock. No slippage EVER- no need to wet anything first as the lock tightens when the straps get soaked during the dive. I tried it all with the strap. Wetting everything thoroughly, busting a gut pulling it tight, etc. Still slipped on occasion. Since I got the thing 4-5 years ago I've NEVER given my tank a second thought.

Last edited:
Sorry to ask the obvious, but is the buckle threaded right? All the wetting and pulling tight will do nothing if the buckle is not properly threaded.

Assuming you mean a standard camband (tank strap) and not Scubapro's version or something of the like:
First make sure it's threaded right.
After that's clarified follow these steps:
1) Take out the first threading in your camband buckle
2) Yank the strap tight around the tank
3) Hold the clamp partially down on the tank
4) Rethread and then fully clamp.

You only need to soak your camband when it's brand new, as that's when it's soft and can stretch the most. After getting soaked and dived a few times it should harden up and no longer loosen to such a degree that a tight lock will come loose during a dive. After that has occurred your tank shouldn't slip provided that you tightened the camband right.

+1 to all of g1138's recommendations: ensure proper threading then follow his directions for cinching up the camband.

I prefer using a BC with a two tank camband design.
I only bother to wet a camband if it's new (first few dives)...otherwise, I cinch it up, clamp it while it's dry, and go dive.
In several hundred dives, I've never had a tank slip out. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

FWIW, over the years I have assisted a number of divers who had in-water tank slippage issues.
Not a big deal at all when an observant buddy or other diver is nearby.
Without exception, all of those divers with tank-slippage problems were using BCDs with one tank camband.

Interesting...

The website for the Apollo Bio Tank Loc indicates a NSN has been assigned for this product. For those who don't know, the NATO Stock Number is required for many military purchases. Which indicates military use.

All else being equal, that suggests to me that there is some value to the product.

A variation on g1138's excellent instructions is:
First make sure it's threaded right.
After that's clarified follow these steps:
1) Take out the first threading in your camband buckle
2) Rock the cam a couple of times while pulling hard on the loose end of the strap
3) Hold the clamp partially down on the tank
4) Rethread and then fully clamp.

I think I see the major problem. The BCD was actually new, so I should have 'wettened' it before putting it on. But I might just get the Apollo Tank lock. I'm an extremely paranoid person, so I like to be extra cautious.

One other option. partially alluded to in g1138's excellent post, is to get a steel over center design like scubapro uses ... Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Strap discounts on sale Scubamax
I've never had a loose tank or other problem with my single strap scubapro one , well, other than seemingly risking a finger when closing it :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom