Burning out on SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whalerkyle

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi everyone, Im pretty new here, not a troll, just new. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on something. I did 2 dives last night in a new area here in Southern Cali. and was boored both dives. I just was tired of it all. I have about 350 dives in my log book, and 42 of those dives were just in October. Ive been diving since 2000. Maybe my Addictive Personality is coming to an end.

Here's my question. Has anyone just stopped diving? Did you just take a break and come back a year later? Did anyone sell all their gear and regret it?

Thanks everyone.

Kyle

I took a couple of years off and got my private pilot certificate. Tech brought my interest back.

I know of several people who just got burnt out on it and sold there gear. They may dive now once every couple of years down on The Brac and just rent gear now.

What certs do you have? Are you just ow? Maybe you need to expand on your training and the types of dives you do.

Become a avid gamer. Eating what you catch is awesome. You can lobster, spearfish...its all good. I cannot for the life of me do photo shoots or sightsee. I have to get something to eat. Stay within guidelines for your area and never waste what you take. Its just a thought.

whalerkyle once bubbled...
Hi everyone, Im pretty new here, not a troll, just new. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on something. I did 2 dives last night in a new area here in Southern Cali. and was boored both dives. I just was tired of it all. I have about 350 dives in my log book, and 42 of those dives were just in October. Ive been diving since 2000. Maybe my Addictive Personality is coming to an end.

Here's my question. Has anyone just stopped diving? Did you just take a break and come back a year later? Did anyone sell all their gear and regret it?

Thanks everyone.

Kyle

I think if I just did the same dive over and over that I would get bored too. I personally need a challenge to keep me going. I usually look for that in new locations or dives that I find a bit challenging in terms of depth, current, navigation or whatever turns you on. Practicing seldom used skills or techniques helps to keep things spicy too sometimes. Try making a couple of dives on the tables with just a bottom timer and depth gauge. Even if the locatoin is the same it will make the dive more interesting. To add another dimension, try it on Nitrox or at night. Those are just a couple ideas. I'm sure with a bit of imagination you can think of 25 or so and then you're set for a few months of diving......

R..

I've got over 200 dives and been all over caribbean, and just started to get into spearfishing this year. What fun! Before that, the dives were all starting to look the same, nice, but not the same challenge and thrill of discovery that I had had before....had buoyancy, marine life id, drift/wreck/etc diving, blowing bubble rings, etc. down and was starting to get bored with local diving in the caribbean....was looking into further and more expensive places to dive where it would look different...

Now, seriously into spearfishing! Doing a FL Middlegrounds trip in a couple weeks and am really psyched! Love eating what I catch and am really looking forward to seeing the spectacular structure (boulders, etc) the MG has. IMHO, spearfishing (or tec-type diving) requires a higher level of skill than simply rec diving, so it becomes challenging and presents new skills to learn and perfect. Some people may challenge that opinion, but maintaining appropriate buoyancy for stalking-hunting/spearing/reloading/etc., handling additional equipment, and then attaching yourself to a fish that might have enough strength to pull you around certainly is expanding my skills and proficiency underwater.

Maybe another level of diving cert would also do renew your interest...

I got into UW photography. I can do the same site over and over, but still find new things to photograph.

I get bored easy which is probably why I ended up first teaching then getting into technical diving and cave diving. There's lots more to do but without an objective and/or challange I might as well stay home and catch a nap. LOL

Mix it up baby! Sometimes I carry a camera.. I'm learning something about spearfishing (and promise, I will get the gun wet this year!), sometimes fossil hunting, reef diving, then there are the times when its a dive in shallow water just to see whats around the mangroves! :)

Its all about variety. I wish I had the time to push down 42 dives in a month though :D

whalerkyle once bubbled...

Thanks everyone.

Kyle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom