Flying after diving.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First I'm not sure if I'm in the write forum, if it needs to be moved please do it.

Here is the question. I have a buddy that is a private pilot and he is wanting to fly down to Florida and dive, then fly back in the small plane (not really that small). But anyway, after reading the thread on here about the diver that got bent on a commercial bird, I can only imagine what it would be like on a private non-pressurized plane. I know about the 24 hr rule, but is this for the private planes or commercial? There would be three of us so I want to make sure we don't do something and have problems. Thanks for the advice, in advance.

Mitch

I would have to say that the altitude is the key to the math. Never tried it myself but can see where any significant altitude above sea level could possibly cause harm. A safety surface interval prior to flying is probably the safest bet, regardless of mode of air travel.

Keep it below 5000 and you'll be OK. Otherwise wait at least 12 hours. Your computer should tell you what's up.

I planned on waiting the 24hrs and my computer tells me that every time I get out of the water. I just want to make sure this is an appropriate amount.

It's an 18 hour rule. You hear 24 at times, but I am not aware of any DAN publication that suggests it. Indeed, for 10 years that I've been diving, their studies indicate no safety gains in waiting longer.

Your computer has a 24 hour clock for legal reasons based on the out of date 24 rule of the previous millennium, but it also should have another count down clock showing time to clear - the important one.

Yes, this has been discussed before. Best thread I could quickly find: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/as...ceiling-1000ft-after-one-no-de-comp-dive.html

The DAN and certification agency recommendation for the time to wait before flying-after-diving is based on being completely free of DCS symptoms and a cabin pressure of 8000'. You may be able to fly lower than this, at a ceiling based on your dive profile and subsequent surface interval. However one possible issue to plan for is the possibility of unexpectedly having to climb above your ceiling, due to weather or ATC. Also, there are additional FAA regulations about piloting after diving, but I'm not sure what they are or whether they'd apply. (This has also been extensively discussed before, if you want to search for it.)

It's an 18 hour rule. You hear 24 at times, but I am not aware of any DAN publication that suggests it. Indeed, for 10 years that I've been diving, their studies indicate no safety gains in waiting longer

This is from DAN's 2002 workshop on flying after diving (DAN | Research

* For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested

* For multiple dives per day or multiple days of diving, a minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is
suggested

* For dives requiring decompression stops, there is little evidence on which to base a recommendation, and a preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent

I believe those are still the current DAN recommendations

This is from DAN's 2002 workshop on flying after diving (DAN | Research

* For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested

* For multiple dives per day or multiple days of diving, a minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is
suggested
Yep. I've read in some other DAN publications that their studies indicate no safety gains in waiting longer.

* For dives requiring decompression stops, there is little evidence on which to base a recommendation, and a preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent
Yep, but this is Basic Scuba so not applicable here or for this discussion I suppose.

Great info and thank you very much. I had figured on only a couple dives at vortex springs a 24 hour layover then fly home.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

If he's the pilot, don't take any chances. Wait the DAN recommended hours. ESPECIALLY if he's flying by himself. Way too many what if's in that scenario to take any chances at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom